Strange Medicine-Head Feeling after Drinking

surfmase

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I made an oatmeal stout recently and just started tasting the first bottles this week. On two (all) occasions after drinking one bottle, I experienced a sort of light headed, drowsy, "medicine-head" feeling. Now I know what your thinking, but I have been drinking beer for long enough to know how it makes me feel. Friends of mine have also tried it but did not experience this. I am a little worried; it tastes fine (apart from my normal nitpicking at details) but why does it make me feel strange?

This 50L recipe was the first time I used the following ingredients/techniques:
25g dark unsweetened chocolate
2 tsp vanilla extract
250 g lactose
300g coffee beans
all added to 1 L boiling water. Coffee beans were removed and the liquid was added before bottling. Another new step in my process was a new bottle rinsing station from morebeer. This is the rack with jets that lets you pump sanitizer into the bottles. this was setup in a polypropylene (I need to double check that) tub with normal no-rinse sanitizing solution.

Any ideas? I'm considering dumping it if it happens again.

Cheers

Did you take any actual medicine those days? How about your diet / how much you ate those days? Were you tired? Anything else out of the ordinary?

Those ingredients sound pretty normal to me, so if it's that then someone else had to have experienced the same thing by now.
You said it tasted fine and others didnt get the same effect. That makes me think it's external to the beer, but internal to you.

your having a reaction to something, also for some reason I can get that same feeling after the first beer or 2 out of a fresh keg, I'm guessing its the hops falling to the bottom, after it settles it stops

Thanks for the input. Nothing from my diet/life stands out, but could very well just be me. A reaction to something sounds plausible. I'll keep probing my friends like guinea pigs. kidding.

I'd be happy to be a test subject for you.

Im allergic to all preservatives and hops are a preservative. after handling raw hop powder I get a rash on my face, took me a year to figure out what was causing it, it can also make me dizzy if I ingest raw hop debris floating in a young ipa

you said it was an oatmeal stout.... so have you had the same reaction to oatmeal? maybe you are allergic to oats? Would explain why only that beer is doing it but not other beers.

I haven't eaten oats in probably 20 years, but I have used them in the mash before without any issues. Since its breakfast time now, that actually sounds good.

Another friend tried it last night and said he felt fine...

There's an idea: free beer at my place! Just outside Zürich Switzerland, who's coming?

surfmase said:
I haven't eaten oats in probably 20 years, but I have used them in the mash before without any issues. Since its breakfast time now, that actually sounds good.

Another friend tried it last night and said he felt fine...

There's an idea: free beer at my place! Just outside Zürich Switzerland, who's coming?
I'm a lot closer than most others here, but that would still be an ~8hr drive... :-(

This sounds like jeff's idea for a TV show, except more on troubleshooting the process rather than on enjoying the end result. Do I foresee a brewing channel on the horizon?

Back