I brewed today!

I always want to try something like that to drain the bag, but I'm afraid the wort is going to spill all over the stove. I need to give this a shot someday.
I spilled significantly more wort on the stove top today :confused: need to let the bag drain longer I think before putting it on the pizza pan

I spilled significantly more wort on the stove top today :confused: need to let the bag drain longer I think before putting it on the pizza pan
Ugh. I know that would happen to me as well. There’s a solution out there somewhere. I just haven’t found it yet.

View attachment 22463 Back in the saddle again, I’ve just finished my first brew day in Eugene. My hoppy amber ale made for an easy session on new equipment. Now to get the fermenter in the garage and get cleaned up. I’m ready for some beer!
Hey, I'm not sure those screens are as straight as the old ones in SoCal.

Man, those were like graph paper...

Surely WallyWorld has a plastic tub of some kind the bag could finish draining in.

Lucky me, I have options in my kit from long before brewing my own beer was ever a thought. Today I used a new iteration of a pasta pot and a deep colander that is part of the set. After mashing and draining the bag, it then hung in the deep colander, and drained really well, with minimal effort. These tools have been in my kitchen for 28+ years, so their utility is certain.

Ugh. I know that would happen to me as well. There’s a solution out there somewhere. I just haven’t found it yet.
I feel like one of those vegetable grilling baskets for a grill would be perfect, but don't know if they're wide enough for my kettle. Maybe I can do some gentle shaping of this aluminum pan

Hey, I'm not sure those screens are as straight as the old ones in SoCal.

Man, those were like graph paper...
I strive for excellence. Once we’re fully settled in here, I might look to see if a local shop could use my services. Doing screen work was/is very enjoyable for me.

Ahhh...the best part of the day...clean up!
20221002_181125.jpg

Ahhh...the best part of the day...clean up!
View attachment 22536
Amen I'm not far behind about to rack last night's no chill brew into kegmenter
20221003_115304.jpg

29c
I'll get the glycol working on dropping this I'm thinking 15c with 10psi pressure I'm betting this yeast cake is gunna fire!
20221003_115409.jpg

Feels like cheating :rolleyes:
20221003_120356.jpg

Last edited:
i'm a little ahead of the game too, but finally getting back to a batch this weekend. brewing Randy Mosher's 1776 Porter again, this time with both licorice stick and root. didn't have the root last time, curious to see how it changes the flavor

also, this recipe uses a hop tea that you steep for awhile, then add to the boil, not sure what that does exactly. maybe something similar to FWH?

and, the recipe calls for boiling down the first half gallon or so of runnings into a sticky, syrupy gloop. just shy of burning. i really like what that did for the flavor
Hey, I am curious how the licorice came through on this beer. I am going to try to brew a black IPA with licorice for Halloween and was looking for some tips on how to use the licorice.

Hey, I am curious how the licorice came through on this beer. I am going to try to brew a black IPA with licorice for Halloween and was looking for some tips on how to use the licorice.
Oh man, that was so long ago I can't really recall. I can't stand black licorice, but I remember liking this beer so the taste couldn't have been that pronounced. I still have those ingredients, so definitely didn't use that much for the batch

I bet the smell was awesome! I have had a few pumpkin beers I’ve liked. Sycamore a brewery somewhere in northern Ohio @The Brew Mentor help me out, made one I really liked. The local brewery makes one reminiscent of ass… Had a few last year that I liked though. May need to search for some.

I bet the smell was awesome! I have had a few pumpkin beers I’ve liked. Sycamore a brewery somewhere in northern Ohio @The Brew Mentor help me out, made one I really liked. The local brewery makes one reminiscent of ass… Had a few last year that I liked though. May need to search for some.
Maybe Fatheads Spooky Tooth?

American Festbier*

Overshot gravity by 4 points so this might be a bit out of Festbier territory. Don’t tell the style police. Wort tasted wonderfully malty and bready, even a bit of hay.
Lagers aren’t my thing, but I’ll do my best to make the Diamond yeast happy.

8AFCB0CB-897F-4C03-9C06-F1308AF789E1.jpeg

American Festbier*

Overshot gravity by 4 points so this might be a bit out of Festbier territory. Don’t tell the style police. Wort tasted wonderfully malty and bready, even a bit of hay.
Lagers aren’t my thing, but I’ll do my best to make the Diamond yeast happy.

View attachment 22624
I'd drink it Megary :D what's your experience with Diamond yeast? I've used it once so far, but didn't treat it very nicely...(90F at 30 psi :rolleyes:) I have another pack destined for a Cold IPA and a dark lager

I'd drink it Megary :D what's your experience with Diamond yeast? I've used it once so far, but didn't treat it very nicely...(90F at 30 psi :rolleyes:) I have another pack destined for a Cold IPA and a dark lager
Unfortunately, I am the last guy to ask about lager yeasts considering this is only the fourth or fifth lager I’ve ever brewed. For the most part I just prefer Ale styles, though I’m trying. :p I chose Diamond for this beer because I heard it is forgiving at temps above what most lagers are fermented at. Right now I’m ok temp wise, but eventually I’ll probably end up in the low to mid 60’s.

Oh man, that was so long ago I can't really recall. I can't stand black licorice, but I remember liking this beer so the taste couldn't have been that pronounced. I still have those ingredients, so definitely didn't use that much for the batch
Hey @jmcnamara and @Robert68 ....check this thread...anise in a dark mild! WTF? Pennsylvania Swankey?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/3g043n/pennsylvania_swankey_historic_beer_style/

I stubbed my toe on this looking around for more info on Albany Ale..maybe a nice compromise to the strong taste of licorice?

Back