CO2 Shortage!!!

Ah...that's about the price for a good pint up here in the Susq and Baltimore Washington, NoVA as well.

I use the small (5lb) bottles and got a refill at my local(ish) welding supply house for $15.00. Seems about right to me and there was no mention of any shortage!

I use the small (5lb) bottles and got a refill at my local(ish) welding supply house for $15.00. Seems about right to me and there was no mention of any shortage!
that is pretty good. I have a 15lbs bottle, refill is $27. lasts more than a year so far, lol.

The powers that be use shortages all the time. Australia had their CO2 shortage last Christmas. It won't last, it's just the latest 'Thing'.

Be patient!

I'm being patient but the shortage still looks to be out there so says Axios...I hadn't seen any thing on this for a while but here it was in this morning's news feed. Gee.... I wonder if this could lead to a rise in cast beer production?

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/19/beer-shortage-co2-supply-issues

meeting links in here for you Michiganers and y'all in Georgia!

It is not fake news, just likely not much of a factor at our scale. And if it gets to be a problem, we can always naturally condition or bottle our beers!
Think this is really it. Brewers get 10s of thousands of pounds vs 15 lbs. I haven't refilled mine in over a year

My son filled (exchanged) his the other day with no problem. I think he still uses a 5 pound bottle.

We've had it here in the UK too. It seems like there's only two places in the UK that produce CO2 at scale and it's actually a side-product of a fertiliser process, both of those sites went down last year and the gas became tricky to get. so the price doubled.

Personally, I think the product has been under valued for a long while and the industry grabbed at the chance for a price hike. All dispense gas is now around double what it was a couple of years ago.

Brewing supplies wise, last time I ordered in Feb prices were up around 15%, not sure where those are at now. Hops I don't know but I'm wondering if the price rises would lag because we're mostly using older harvests? Don't know

We've had it here in the UK too. It seems like there's only two places in the UK that produce CO2 at scale and it's actually a side-product of a fertiliser process, both of those sites went down last year and the gas became tricky to get. so the price doubled.

Personally, I think the product has been under valued for a long while and the industry grabbed at the chance for a price hike. All dispense gas is now around double what it was a couple of years ago.

Brewing supplies wise, last time I ordered in Feb prices were up around 15%, not sure where those are at now. Hops I don't know but I'm wondering if the price rises would lag because we're mostly using older harvests? Don't know
That'll be a good thing for cask ale than?
Is c02 used to displace headspace ?

That'll be a good thing for cask ale than?
Is c02 used to displace headspace ?

No, generally speaking we try to 'cap on foam' so headspace is minimal. There's a secondary fementation as well that produces its own CO2 but shelf life is pretty short; 12 weeks tops. I haven't tested how long our casks will sit before starting to spoil, ours are gone within two or three weeks of racking at the moment but we've had four weeks with no perceived drop in qulity.

Back