Primitive cider (again)

Today I started a batch, using a gallon jug of Martinelli’s and a sprinkle of Fermentis Safcider AB-1.
I also have my sourdough starter fed, hoping to bake tonight.
Since I drug all of my brewing equipment out of the rafters, it would make sense to look into brewing a batch of beer - I’m looking into it.

image.jpg
Dry cider with fizz, seems very much like Autumn.
Martinelli’s apple juice fermented with SafCider AB-1 for ~4 weeks, carbonated in bottle with maple syrup. Nothing special, but a clean, crisp drink.
Looking to find some local juice to ferment.

View attachment 22929 Dry cider with fizz, seems very much like Autumn.
Martinelli’s apple juice fermented with SafCider AB-1 for ~4 weeks, carbonated in bottle with maple syrup. Nothing special, but a clean, crisp drink.
Looking to find some local juice to ferment.
I was watching a clip.last night from Brew dudes on local New England Cider he got pasturised juice from the farm and fermented with maple syrup to his words (fortify it).

Sometimes the simple concepts are the charm. This one is a really simple cider but clean and crisp with a bit of retained sweetness and a really mellow finish. It comes out at 5.4% and all I do once it's carbonated is transfer it to a clean keg.

I tried it on our bar alongside the commercial cider we do and it comfortably outsells the commercial product, we are doing a keg per week of this at the moment.

Man, I really - really - like simple cider.

20221016_200524.jpg

Sometimes the simple concepts are the charm. This one is a really simple cider but clean and crisp with a bit of retained sweetness and a really mellow finish. It comes out at 5.4% and all I do once it's carbonated is transfer it to a clean keg.

I tried it on our bar alongside the commercial cider we do and it comfortably outsells the commercial product, we are doing a keg per week of this at the moment.

View attachment 22933
Looks gorgeous!

View attachment 22933

What yeast did you use Steve?

While I am happily drinking my new batch of M29 cider (4th or 5th use of trub), I'm contemplating my first failure.
Apple juice on M47. Set up at the same time as M29 and everything as usual, I can only think of temperature being too high for the yeast. But looking through off-tastes, it's only oxidation that describes what I taste. Sherry/port like...
Anyway, just poured some bottles in an open glass vessel to try get cider vinegar.
Remainder will go be kept to see if it improves in time and/or may be used for Chinese cooking to replace shaoxing rice wine
Anyone having any other good ideas of what to do with it?

Sorry for your troubles dude; you had a decent run there though I guess? Hard to understand how it oxidises, I was thinking malolactic fermentation but that's more sulphur aromas from what I remember.

Can't think of anything to do with it; sorry :(

Gotta look on.the bright side: it was the smaller batch that tastes terrible.
The bigger is fine.
I think it is more likely the combination of yeast and temperature. Strange enough, the beer made with same yeast and under same conditions is fine. Maybe I should have put nutrients ...

Gotta look on.the bright side: it was the smaller batch that tastes terrible.
The bigger is fine.
I think it is more likely the combination of yeast and temperature. Strange enough, the beer made with same yeast and under same conditions is fine. Maybe I should have put nutrients ...
Amen.
Take for instance that 34/70 primitive Cider batch I did that was a sulphur bomb! Like my Wife said it smelt like FART:p.
I guess I'm not winning her over with my HB anytime soon lol.

Looking at doing a small batch with some Windsor ale yeast I've got here oh hang on I'll do BRY-97 and Windsor I'll do two:)

Back