What are you doing with homebrew today?

I seem to get exactly the opposite effect if I repitch SAF05. Probably overpitch related, but it ALWAYS pushes krausen out the airlock. Maybe I can change that now that I have a way to better cool down for pitching.

I’m thinking I put the wort in the fridgideezer to start cooling it to pitch temp, and make a slurry to pitch the following day. A bit different from overnight mash to split the brew day, and less contact with the wort.

For all the beer chemists out there, what are the possible effects of slow cooling versus fast chilling? @Trialben, would this be similar to your ‘no chill’ technique?
More alpha acids will isomerize from the hops due to increased time at high temperatures (beer will be more bitter)

And some people claim the cold break won't properly form, which can affect haze/clarity

More alpha acids will isomerize from the hops due to increased time at high temperatures (beer will be more bitter)

And some people claim the cold break won't properly form, which can affect haze/clarity
Okay, I’m assuming you mean the hops are left in the wort? Or do you mean the oils/acids already dispensed in the main boil cycle?

LOL, I already struggle with clarity. Use of fining agents has been added to my list of things to learn and master. Don’t give me more things to confuse me until I figure out what I’m doing wrong at the moment. I’m trying to eliminate quality concerns one at a time ( meanwhile learning fixing one thing may cause another thing).

Okay, I’m assuming you mean the hops are left in the wort? Or do you mean the oils/acids already dispensed in the main boil cycle?

LOL, I already struggle with clarity. Use of fining agents has been added to my list of things to learn and master. Don’t give me more things to confuse me until I figure out what I’m doing wrong at the moment. I’m trying to eliminate quality concerns one at a time ( meanwhile learning fixing one thing may cause another thing).
The essential oils from the hops dissolve into the wort during the boil. Even after the hops are removed, the oils are left behind. The oils carry the alpha acids that are isomerized into bittering units. So your beer will continue to become bitter if the wort is left at high temperatures even after the boil

No chill method for me has absolutely no impact on clarity in my beers.
There is plenty of cold break material in the kettle not that it gets left behind it just happens slower.

I'm imagining here but I rekon back hundreds of years ago no chill was "the" brew method :D.

I think of England and Belgian Coolship fermenters I think that large surface area would of been to aid in cool down.

Ugh seriously what the hell is this beer doing with krausen still. I about to brew my next batch in my Fermonster since this batch is being so stubborn
20220925_191822.jpg

Ugh seriously what the hell is this beer doing with krausen still. I about to brew my next batch in my Fermonster since this batch is being so stubborn
View attachment 22441
@Josh Hughes have you ever had this problem before? A pressure fermented batch that goes on way too long? This was only a 4 gallon batch and there's about 3 quarts of krausen :eek:

@RoadRoach happy to brew (and drink) for science :D I hope you enjoy your experiments as well! I'm curious which malts you discover that you enjoy most, I definitely have some favorites I wasn't expecting
The sacrifices the two of you make are commendable to say the least.

I brewed, first full all-grain batch since March, my Kentucky Common. I also did a lot of cleaning kegs and moving beer around to fit it into my fridge. Carbing up a kit Kolsch, a little dark but pretty good! Hint: US-05 at 61 degrees F makes a passable Kolsch....

Brewed a Kolsch with a mix of Stone Path’s Gold and Vienna, along with a mix of Hallertauer Mittlefruh and Zappa hops. Using SafAle K-97, pitched high at 85 F, and brought down to 60, on spunding valve (first time) under 10 or so PSI. Calling it Checkpoint Charlie.

First time using an immersion chiller as well, liked the time savings, but so much water!

Can’t seem to dial in my ending water numbers … still! Hitting my gravity numbers but not target final volume. Think I finally fixed my equipment profile but only time will tell.

Well, time to wash some bottles. @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews, this is my Frankenbeer attempt at your 3-Day Weekend recipe. Your take on the color?

I pulled a sample today. It's been fermenting for 11 days, and is currently at 1.012. I figure that's about as low as it's gonna go since it started at 1.048 and I only used one packet of dry yeast. Pretty beer, though light, and SUPER clear. Judging from the sample (unless that's StarSan foam) looks like it's gonna hold a head, if I don't mess it up with the bottling. A considerable amount of natural carbonation was floating up as well, so now I'm a little panicky about how much priming sugar to use in this. That's a plastic cylinder, so it isn't super clear. I have high hopes for this one. Smells delicious!

Got a bit of white clumps from the krausen floating caused by the whirlfloc. Gotta watch those when draining the fermenter. Thought about putting my hops basket in the bottling bucket at the end of the hose to strain some of that stuff out. Don't want it floating in a bottle.
IMG_3059[1].JPG

Gotta get busy. Bottles to wash and priming sugar to sterilize ....

Back