What's your next brew

Got it. My problem is that I'm not about to make Invert in time for tomorrow's brew-day. So, it's either sucrose or not. We'll see.
Lyles and molasses. I’ve read that as a quick fix. Of course doesn’t help with tomorrow either

Lyles and molasses. I’ve read that as a quick fix. Of course doesn’t help with tomorrow either
Will sucrose dry the beer out too much? I assume a mild should have a lower attenuation British yeast?

I’ve not used regular sugar before. Used brown sugar at like7-8%. But that wasn’t a mild. I think the thing with regular sucrose is at higher amounts you are getting attenuation without flavor? Invert will 100% attenuate and I didn’t think it dried out the mild I made with it. One mild it was over 10%

Extremely interesting podcast. Thanks for that. I believe your link is for Drew’s Mild and here’s the recipe from the guy they talked to in the podcast.
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes/royal-docks-44-mild-brown

I’m now left scratching my head a bit about including oats and/or sugar. I’ve never gotten on well with oats, for me they always seem to do the exact opposite of what people say they do. I get an oil slick mouthfeel and very poor head retention when I’ve used them. So I don’t bother with them anymore. The sugar though, is intriguing. I see @Josh Hughes uses invert and the podcast mentions regular sucrose, but Drew's recipe doesn't include it. Hmm…seems like the use of sugar is a traditional thing. I could drop some of the MO for a bit of sugar.

What I wouldn't give to go find a decent Dark Mild on the shelf today. :)
You know what when I was originally designing my 1st attempt at dark Mild (there's a thread on here.https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/dark-mild.15383/ ) earlier this year I was contemplating brown sugar and you know I ended up going with dates:p way off style lol.
It seems I have a hard time staying true to style.
Oh I didn't use the brown sugar BTW maybe that'll be next ierteration...

Hey if you don't like oats don't use them I'm down with oats flaked or rolled from the store I don't get any negative affect yes maybe head sux but they def arnt good for head retention if that's why your adding them :).

Like I said my recent brew was my favourite in the three I did my middle one was least but all were yummy.

I found mashing heaps high kept the FG high using S04 in last batch i used Nottingham in 1st run and it was too clean lol didn't contribute any esters if ya get my drift.

Now I know @The Brew Mentor made a fantastic Mild that I believe went down a hit.
He mentioned a yeast strain he likes with brewing this style.

It’ll be fine, long as the coriander is reasonably fresh. Got a fresh batch working in the fermenter myself.
This is VERY light in color. Would that be a side effect of the corn additive? I've done a lot of DME based extracts with nothing but orange peel, corriander, and hops to color it, and none were as light as this. The US-05 is thriving in it too. There's gotta be nearly 1-1/2 inch of white yeast cake in the sediment bulb after only 2 days (since I pulled the trub). Could be some of the sediment from the Whirlfloc too, though. This is the most yeast cake I've ever seen after pulling trub once. Looks like it's getting lighter as it ferments, too. Maybe that's a figment of my imagination, though.

Dunno if you've been reading my adventures in temperature-controlled fermenting skill development, but I finally bit the bullet and bought a freezer for it. This obviously opens up a whole new set of skills for me to master. Have you ever tried to lager something like this? Why or why not? Again, I'm still what I call a noob at this, despite having done quite a few batches. Now I'm learning some of the more detailed knowledge and practices, and hopefully to learn to taste the differences. I don't mind practicing the latter skill. :D

Since I skipped it in favor of the Frankenbeer and temperature control experiments, gonna do a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and add 4 oz of cacao nibs for more chocolate flavor. Like a bowl of porridge with chocolate syrup poured over it (and enough alcohol to knock yer socks off). Considering drying it a little with some added sugar. Don't want to change the taste, just make it a little bigger. Maybe a half-pound or so.

Thinking about a rye pale ale with Simcoe and Cashmere. Would brew it Saturday after work but I'll be busy drinking beers and hanging out in a Zoom call :D maybe I'll set it up to broadcast from the kitchen
Why not double trouble :)

This is VERY light in color. Would that be a side effect of the corn additive? I've done a lot of DME based extracts with nothing but orange peel, corriander, and hops to color it, and none were as light as this. The US-05 is thriving in it too. There's gotta be nearly 1-1/2 inch of white yeast cake in the sediment bulb after only 2 days (since I pulled the trub). Could be some of the sediment from the Whirlfloc too, though. This is the most yeast cake I've ever seen after pulling trub once. Looks like it's getting lighter as it ferments, too. Maybe that's a figment of my imagination, though.

Dunno if you've been reading my adventures in temperature-controlled fermenting skill development, but I finally bit the bullet and bought a freezer for it. This obviously opens up a whole new set of skills for me to master. Have you ever tried to lager something like this? Why or why not? Again, I'm still what I call a noob at this, despite having done quite a few batches. Now I'm learning some of the more detailed knowledge and practices, and hopefully to learn to taste the differences. I don't mind practicing the latter skill. :D
Color is probably right, it’s the lightest one I make. Hope you enjoy it.

Color is probably right, it’s the lightest one I make. Hope you enjoy it.
Yeah, looking forward to it. Probably the coolest I’ve kept a batch during fermentation, especially the last 3 day. Pretty well holding between 62.7 and 64 on all my checks. Gotta be hitting 64 for the cooling relay to pick up.

Think I need a new recipe for a lager (after I make the stout) and try that process. Time to browse a bit.

You ever do Hobgoblin? Tried it once. Didn't mind it, though the bitterness was a little high for me. Perhaps a small reduction in the bittering hops would fix that.
Yes. My last brown. I didn’t use the ring wood yeast so it wasn’t as close as it could be. I used verdant and it actually tasted more like a Sammy smith brown but once again not quite. Hobgoblin is one of my faves

Back