What are you drinking right now?

Maybe a little Dextrine malt to help with the head? If I'm bottle conditioning, I like the Cooper Carbonation Drops...had some gushers and flat beers using sugar.
Yeah, the gushers were the problem, especially the ones that kinda sat there for about 10 seconds or so before they decided they needed to paint the kitchen. Very weird that, but the whole batch did it. At least I know I got the carbing sugar homogenized. I cut the sugar back some, and have had issues with presentation since. Plenty to carb, but not enough to keep it the head on. Maybe bump it back up about 5% or so. It's normally a long 5 gallons (22 quarts) since I don't leave so much behind in buckets. Most of the gushers were when I was still fermenting in buckets.

A"Hefeweitzen" from the local Aldi. Not much Hefe in there, more like a Kristallweitzen. Not very good, sorry. Brewed in Waukee WI.

81C87561-D85B-45D3-953A-7B35F735CD9E.jpeg

View attachment 22391 Sample of “Bulin’s Original” pre prohibition lager. Hasn’t dropped clear yet, did pour with a nice creamy head and has a really nice mellow flavor with a malty finish. I’ll check in on it again in a couple weeks.
That there is about where my foam settles to on my average brew.

Hey now here is something I saw recently when doing a grain order my finger hovered over the buy button but caution got the better of me.

So have you herd of Chit malt?

Well I'm gunna order some and see if there is anything to the purported foam stability and extra enzymatic activity of this halted maturation barley....

This is after a few minutes retention wise I'm happy with this No wheat just great craft malt.
20220921_174753.jpg

And the glorious end
20220921_180101.jpg

Imbibed on a rhubarb strawberry sour first sour I've drunk more ciderish than beer quite low in ibus I tasted and went down way to quick noice!

And I've got to agree with this
20220921_171605.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the gushers were the problem, especially the ones that kinda sat there for about 10 seconds or so before they decided they needed to paint the kitchen. Very weird that, but the whole batch did it. At least I know I got the carbing sugar homogenized. I cut the sugar back some, and have had issues with presentation since. Plenty to carb, but not enough to keep it the head on. Maybe bump it back up about 5% or so. It's normally a long 5 gallons (22 quarts) since I don't leave so much behind in buckets. Most of the gushers were when I was still fermenting in buckets.

I use 6 to 8 gr sugar per litre. That works out at 23 to 30 gr per (US) gallon, so 8 to 10 ounce?.
That's cane sugar.
It works for me. No gushers (yet), no flatties either

I use 6 to 8 gr sugar per litre. That works out at 23 to 30 gr per (US) gallon, so 8 to 10 ounce?.
That's cane sugar.
It works for me. No gushers (yet), no flatties either
So I keg carbed my ginger Ninger 2 days ago 100g of cane sugar / 19lt that's 5 g /LT used the BF priming calc to 1.5 vol erring on the side of caution as it was spunded at end of fermentation.
Well I put the new spund valve on it next day after racking and priming the pressure was already over 20psi i was blown away how quick it pressurised. I'll leave it all week then put It in keezer for serving week after treating it like a bottle.

I forgot to say that I bottle.
Somehow it seems you need less sugar when kegging. At least I recall reading that somewhere

Short answer: it is in the proteins.
Maybe we can talk about it this Saturday late afternoon?
That would be fantastic. Now I've got dextrin additions/rests and protien issues identified as possibilities and some reading to do.
Can't remember what time the meeting is. I record what football I want to watch so I can skip through commercials, so I will definitely try to make it. I'll look it up and make a point of it. Perhaps get the Zoom App for my phone and scare a bunch of folks with my ugly mug. I'm a pretty hairy dude because I don't have to impress anyone with my appearance anymore, and I'm not a vain person to start with.

I forgot to say that I bottle.
Somehow it seems you need less sugar when kegging. At least I recall reading that somewhere

Maybe a volume and yeast propagation thing? That would be my guess, anyway. Can't help having at least a little aeration with bottling, certainly not with the primitive stuff I have for doing it.

I haven't had any flat beer per se, but have had some zippier than others, and LOTS of gushers. Even the gushers, though, the head/foam doesn't last long. It's been a while since I've had one that made a good presentation. As pointed out, maybe I changed something in the process that affected the proteins and didn't realize it. I could see that on a mashed all-grain, but not so much on a DME based brew. UNLESS, my technique is leaving out a critical hot-break or something. Maybe time to scald the bottles and use a jet on 'em? I have noticed what looks like a light oily film on some batches, but I assumed that was the oils from the hops and adjuncts.

@Zambezi Special, I may have to go through your numbers again and see if I'm shorting myself a little on the corn sugar. I haven't used cane sugar for carbing yet and have no clue which will give the best results. Maybe I try cane sugar after the next batch. Got enough corn sugar for one more batch. Cane sugar would certainly be a lot cheaper than corn sugar.

Does anyone force carb with CO2 and bottle? (Kinda makes no sense to do it, but just curious).

That would be fantastic. Now I've got dextrin additions/rests and protien issues identified as possibilities and some reading to do.
Can't remember what time the meeting is.

Does anyone force carb with CO2 and bottle? (Kinda makes no sense to do it, but just curious).
4 pm 'Bama time we start.

Although I exclusively keg, I do bottle from the keg whenever I want to send something in for a competition or to share with someone.

I stopped into the local GOOD liquor store and was thrilled to see there was some space in their cooler for local beer.. in..really LOCAL beer...like down the street...Brewery Fire got distribution...nice tag line!

View attachment 22406
What's that the 15 oz of free speech and bayonets :D

Back