Scottish Export

It does look good. It won't be as bitter as the calc, your hop utilization is set to 99%. But it will be tasty for sure.

Mine is defaulted 98%. That value comes from the Equipment Profile when setting height above sea level, which is 700 feet for me.

I don't think you can go too wrong with those ingredients. I'm not all that familiar with a specific "Scottish Export" style, but it looks like a drier, less hoppy ESB. My taste would add some more hops at the beginning, but it isn't my beer, it is yours. I am also used to drinking American style Pale Ales too, so my palate kind of craves hops when the beer is dry. The OG and alcohol level sound right up my alley. Your beer will likely be very tasty.

I don't think you can go too wrong with those ingredients. I'm not all that familiar with a specific "Scottish Export" style, but it looks like a drier, less hoppy ESB. My taste would add some more hops at the beginning, but it isn't my beer, it is yours. I am also used to drinking American style Pale Ales too, so my palate kind of craves hops when the beer is dry. The OG and alcohol level sound right up my alley. Your beer will likely be very tasty.
I agree it’s too strong for an 80 shilling/Scottish export but ingredients looks good and it will be tasty

I wasn't really going for dry. Should I add more crystal?

Less if the darker for more of the lighter crystal imo for less dry. Smidge less roast too

I got dry out of your FG. 1.011 will be pretty dry. If you want a malty, sweeter finish try the Fullers strain (White Labs WLP002 or similar). For something more moderately attenuating, there are a ton of English style yeasts. Maybe even S-04 if you have to have dry yeast?
Don't go too crazy on the Crystal.
I like my ESB, and 1lb of Crisp English Crystal 150 (75 SRMish) worked out pretty well in 5 gallons. I wouldn't push it much over that.
There Goes the Fking Door | Strong Bitter BIAB Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend (brewersfriend.com)
This is what I did for an ESB. It came out great, but I might leave out the Victory the next time.
I was looking for an English Beer with a malt/hop balance.
I also use BIIB, so my numbers were a little different. About 1.056 SG and about 1.016ish FG.
The sugar was because that yeast does not attenuate well at all, thus the sweeter finish. I wanted it to ferment down a little from the 1.019. I got just about what I wanted. The wheat was only for head retention and not really typical of the style.

Last edited:
I got dry out of your FG. 1.011 will be pretty dry. If you want a malty, sweeter finish try the Fullers strain (White Labs WLP002 or similar). For something more moderately attenuating, there are a ton of English style yeasts. Maybe even S-04 if you have to have dry yeast?
Don't go too crazy on the Crystal.
I like my ESB, and 1lb of Crisp English Crystal 150 (75 SRMish) worked out pretty well in 5 gallons. I wouldn't push it much over that.
There Goes the Fking Door | Strong Bitter BIAB Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend (brewersfriend.com)
This is what I did for an ESB. It came out great, but I might leave out the Victory the next time.
I was looking for an English Beer with a malt/hop balance.
I also use BIIB, so my numbers were a little different. About 1.056 SG and about 1.016ish FG.
The sugar was because that yeast does not attenuate well at all, thus the sweeter finish. I wanted it to ferment down a little from the 1.019. I got just about what I wanted. The wheat was only for head retention and not really typical of the style.
Think I'll try Windsor. It worked well with my latest porter.

As Josh mentioned the ABV is a little high for the style but everything else is within the style guidelines. Note, the guidelines are only really important when submitting your beers to a competition. Otherwise, just use them to make sure your in the right ballpark/pitch. Scottish ales should have a touch of sweetness to them so definitely don't try to dry it out. And they shouldn't be hoppy either. You could tweak things a bit but, if you tweak too much you won't have a Scottish Export anymore. And that is perfectly fine....if that's what you want.

As Josh mentioned the ABV is a little high for the style but everything else is within the style guidelines. Note, the guidelines are only really important when submitting your beers to a competition. Otherwise, just use them to make sure your in the right ballpark/pitch. Scottish ales should have a touch of sweetness to them so definitely don't try to dry it out. And they shouldn't be hoppy either. You could tweak things a bit but, if you tweak too much you won't have a Scottish Export anymore. And that is perfectly fine....if that's what you want.
Yup. It is what YOU want.

And, to make myself more of a pain in the a*S after drinking other people's damn good beer plus my own homebrew this evening, life is pretty good when the homebrew comes out good and your 80s playlist includes the second side of Rush Moving Pictures:) Wow, the shi*t we had back in the day for tunes:)

Back