Q4 2022 Brewersfriend Quarterly Brew

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This quarterly brew thing has been going for 2 years!
Wow Bulin kicked it off unofficially this quarter just before Christmas in 2020 or was that 2019.

To round out another year of fantastic beers my crook little girl drew
20220918_073732.jpg

Mum don't want our little brew mascot on the interwebs anymore :( back to the ugly old man lol

@jmcnamara !

Well me old mate It's over to you now this Quarterly Brew is all yours:).

What tried n tested hombrew of yours would you like to contribute to this here Community Brew.

Cheers Bring on the festive season!

Ah jeez, I have really been slacking in the brewing department. Finally bottled up the annual barleywine today, just a few weeks after I wanted to initially.
I'll have to look through my brews list for a good one. Think I've got a brown ale, might be good for heading into the fall weather

Ah jeez, I have really been slacking in the brewing department. Finally bottled up the annual barleywine today, just a few weeks after I wanted to initially.
I'll have to look through my brews list for a good one. Think I've got a brown ale, might be good for heading into the fall weather
Looks like you've agreed then:D.
Maybe this will get you inspired to brew again.
Maybe you and @Nosybear took a hiatus from brewing.

Yeah mate your call your show I'll be champing at the bit to brew one of your brews.
Havnt had a brown ale on the Quarterly brew yet ;)

Last edited:
Ok, let's try this one (don't pick it apart too hard haha)
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/698623/downtown-charlie

I know people will need to sub in available ingredients or tweak things based on their process, but I think the one thing everyone should try to do is boil down some of the wort to a thick syrup, and add that back into the boil

Guess I need to schedule a trip to the lhbs soon...

I know people will need to sub in available ingredients or tweak things based on their process, but I think the one thing everyone should try to do is boil down some of the wort to a thick syrup, and add that back into the boil

Awesome looks bloody tasty this will be brewed next in line for me will have a good look at the recipe later.
I'll def do that partial boil too might throw out the volume numbers a bit but might just add another liter to the volume to account for extra boil off.

Cheers!

Awesome looks bloody tasty this will be brewed next in line for me will have a good look at the recipe later.
I'll def do that partial boil too might throw out the volume numbers a bit but might just add another liter to the volume to account for extra boil off.

Cheers!
Haha yeah....I'm not really a numbers guy but it'll definitely up the color too

@jmcnamara ill brew this next. Was brewing a British brown ale anyway. This is perfect. Still have some brown malt left to. I’ll sub goldings for fuggles since I have those. Rest I have. Dry year people hear me out. Verdant is Sooooooo close to London III

@jmcnamara ill brew this next. Was brewing a British brown ale anyway. This is perfect. Still have some brown malt left to. I’ll sub goldings for fuggles since I have those. Rest I have. Dry year people hear me out. Verdant is Sooooooo close to London III
Looks like the brewing stars have aligned on this one

I'm in as well. Like @Sunfire96, I had a Brown Ale planned for Thanksgiving company. (Now, if they don't like it, I can blame @jmcnamara :p)

I have Golden Promise on hand and will probably go with that. But I'm good with everything else. I can't wait to try this "boil down" technique!

This is right in the middle of my favorite beer styles! I'll probably brew this after Janet's Brown Ale. Not sure when I'll brew that as things have been busy here.

And I'll definitely do the reduction. I do that for my Wee Heavy and W00t Stout and it really gives it a nice malty, caramel flavor

I boiled the quart of mash down to this:

View attachment 22862

This is the pot afterwards. A bit of a pain to clean, but not too bad. If I had half a brain, I would have just dunked the pot in the boil!!

View attachment 22863
Nice! Yeah that's what I did the first time I did it. Easy peasy. Or use a heat proof spatula to scrape all the goodness.
I really need to get to bottling mine

Hello all, just getting back into brewing after a summer of endless work and stumbled onto the Quarterly Brew while catching up on the forums. I am guessing the quarterly brew is open to everyone? I already have three beers stacked up to brew but will add this one to my list. I will probably scale the recipe up to 10 gallons.

Back