Homebrew competitors

Oh no recieve email today that my entries havnt arrived! :(
WTF
I sent some beers to Melbourne and they arrived to their recipient quicker than just down the road in Queensland.

Got off the phone to organiser and if they don't turn up today I'll be getting a refund but no entries :oops:.

Bloody posties!

WTF
I sent some beers to Melbourne and they arrived to their recipient quicker than just down the road in Queensland.

Got off the phone to organiser and if they don't turn up today I'll be getting a refund but no entries :oops:.

Bloody posties!
I hope they arrive - unopened and safe. Good luck in the competition.

WTF

Bloody posties!
Man that sucks. Hopefully they land in time. Good luck!

You wouldn't Bloody believe it lady's and Gents.
So I just called the "drop off location" aka hombrew store I sent them to and asked them if they had received my parcel ?
Cut off was 2nd September it's 6th today I'm fretting telling them hey I've got a 2018 barley wine there I really want it judged.

Yeah mate we've not seen anything.

Well low and behold I get a call back just now minutes after calling that yes they have got the beers :D.

Just between you and me I've got a feeling it was left in the corner somewhere and after telling them "I sent them in a wine box" well whatdyaknow they appear.

Man I have bad luck sending beer in the mail is all I can say:)

No recent brewing for me, in fact i've pretty much drained all of my kegs. But there is some Cali Common left, its pretty good. I decided to bottle some up. Getting ready to send it to two comps for fun. Man, bottling is a PITA. I considered sending last years export stout as an american stout, but theres only a few bottles left and its soo good. I don't want to give up the prescious. -In a Smeagol voice-

Last edited:
Got my scores for QABC
Screenshot_20220920-091330_Samsung Internet.jpg

A bit humbling lol.
But one thing I see both the wheat and the mild are concuring on is a harshness in the beer so maybe I do need to look at this No chill method I'm doing hmm.

The barleywine hasn't aged well that's for sure the judges detected a plastic phenolic flavour I'm thinking this is from the long hot storage in the keg.

The Mild was too roasty malty but finished too dry.
The wheat beer had a harsh hop flavour and too high bitterness.

No off flavours though but a metallic taste mind you in the wheat. I do wonder how the beers faired before hand I think they were left in the corner as I had to ring them to find out what was going on.

Well definitely some improvements to be made and I just might chill a few batches I rekon even do that side by side No chill v chill pils or blond ale to see where this harshness their detecting is coming from.

My fist thought on harshness would be if the mash ph is off- pick up some harsh flavors from the husk
Metallic would likely be from a kettle/pot that wasn’t stainless
Not sure on plastic. Something Non food grade in contact with beer?

Last edited:
My fist thought on harshness would be if the mash ph is off- pick up some harsh flavors from the husk
Na phenols on the plastic I'm sure it scored better a few years ago.

Stainless here could even be something to do with the bottling even.
Ah it is great to get feedback I'll take it with a couple of grains of barley :).
Definitely not up to scratch I don't doubt it:).
I'll wait until I get the sheets in the mail the handwriting was so hard to read over email.

Won't give up the day job..

Lol. Anyway I’ve been there too. Good at the tap and then something happens getting bottled and shipped. Maybe I got some sanitizer in the bottles. Sometimes I kill it

Def got me thinking about checking my PH I rekon your onto something here :rolleyes:

@Trialben, Thanks for sharing. Nothing to get discouraged about at all sir, just something to learn from. (And I will now be focusing twice as hard on my own brewing!)

Not saying this has anything to do with your situation, but in my experience, I firmly believe that most of my off-flavors can be traced back to me not making the yeast happy from start to finish. Sure, fermentation is only one part of the process but I think it's the most important part...and the one I find the hardest to control. Did I pitch enough healthy yeast at the right temperature and maintain the correct fermentation temp from start to finish and then allow enough time for the yeast to do all that it needed to do? If I look back I can see where I fouled something up here. :oops: No big deal, I swallow the pill and brew on. This hobby is far too much fun.

Cheers!

@Trialben, Thanks for sharing. Nothing to get discouraged about at all sir, just something to learn from. (And I will now be focusing twice as hard on my own brewing!)

Not saying this has anything to do with your situation, but in my experience, I firmly believe that most of my off-flavors can be traced back to me not making the yeast happy from start to finish. Sure, fermentation is only one part of the process but I think it's the most important part...and the one I find the hardest to control. Did I pitch enough healthy yeast at the right temperature and maintain the correct fermentation temp from start to finish and then allow enough time for the yeast to do all that it needed to do? If I look back I can see where I fouled something up here. :oops: No big deal, I swallow the pill and brew on. This hobby is far too much fun.

Cheers!
Cheers Megary that there has definitely crossed my mind;).

Damn. Got a letter from UPS. They broke one of the comp bottles. . I guess they know it isn’t vinegar now. I prob can’t make best of show with one bottle. Glad I sent it to two different comps. Annoying. They were wrapped in bubble wrap

Damn. Got a letter from UPS. They broke one of the comp bottles. . I guess they know it isn’t vinegar now. I prob can’t make best of show with one bottle. Glad I sent it to two different comps. Annoying. They were wrapped in bubble wrap
Thats super frustrating, sorry

Sorry to hear it.

The one and only time I entered a competition requiring shipping I packed it very carefully in a heavy box and then packed that box inside another box with about 2 inches of padding between the two. I'm sure the people opening the box weren't too happy but the bottles survived.

THat was a winner for sure:D!

That happened last year to me.
Organiser phoned me and said if I bottled another and sent it they'd pay shipping!

Hey since then I send my comp bottles in wine boxes they sell singles and doubles.
https://auspost.com.au/shop/product/wine-box-single-132-x-105x-395mm-10-pack-74937
Not sure if your post office have them in US.
Their designed for posting bottles .
Unless that's illegal in the funny old US of A?

Last edited:
THat was a winner for sure:D!

That happened last year to me.
Organiser phoned me and said if I bottled another and sent it they'd pay shipping!

Hey since then I send my comp bottles in wine boxes they sell singles and doubles.
https://auspost.com.au/shop/product/wine-box-single-132-x-105x-395mm-10-pack-74937
Not sure if your post office have them in US.
Their designed for posting bottles .
Unless that's illegal in the funny old US of A?

Not actually illegal but against the rules of all shipping companies due to fear of the legal implications of accidentally delivering it to underage drinkers. Heck it's probably also a fear of getting sued by some adult who says it's the fault of the shipping company for delivering the alcohol they consumed prior to getting into their car drunk and crashing it.

Back