Shed Beer Bar #1

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This popped onto my radar a few weeks ago, I think about 6 weeks but it feels longer :) , it was a little tapas bar that had run into the end of its life and would I be interested in having a go at doing something with it?

It's very much the wrong time to be adventurous I think - covid wasn't good for my finances and the uncertainty around the cost of living plus commercial utilities going stratospheric - but I also think these opportunities rarely come along at the right time and when they do you have a tricky choice to make.

I've decided to have a go and this is the result; Shed Beer bar #1; The Beer Shed. I've kind of begged, stole and borrowed to get it to this stage on the tiniest of shoestring budgets but we opened for a private 'thank you and hello' function last night.

There was an existing beer dispense install but only four products so me and my pal pulled all that out and put in a couple of new coolers along with a 14 line python that will allow me to have the nine products on the bar that I wanted. There are 2 of my casks which will be permanent and the plan is for one of my kegs beers and one or two of my ciders on rotation with the commercial products.

Before3.jpg
Done4.jpg
Done1.jpg

Attachments

• Done3.jpg
    Done3.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 40
I don't know why that last image won't rotate but it's worth looking at, it's a really nice graphic that my pal did for me. It's a stock image of the brewing process and I asked him for a print, he said he could run it on their CNC machine and cut it out. They then make a diagram to mount it like you would a sign and the finished effect is really nice.

That is outstanding! Well done.

Thanks man. I'm battered today because we've been flat out trying to get this done and I have to earn a living too so it's been quite the few weeks. I'm pleased though and wanted to post a few pictures, and explain a little about the dispense particularly; that's really quite something.

...and the licensing, the licensing is a trip :)

Wow Steve, that's wonderful!
...And a curse. You know what I mean :rolleyes:

I wish you all the very best in this, and wish I could stop in for a pint, however unlikely at the moment.

I agree, the "brass ring" only comes around rarely, grab it while you can and see what happens.

Dude you have some balls :p!
Nothing ventured Nothing gained!
It looked like you were on a bit of a roll going by your posts over the last year or so you know cutting your teath on the commercial market.

As you might know I follow a few brewers over your way on YouTube Andy from 4 priests brewing (he started start of this year) and Harrybrew 69 ironically I'm sure his brewery is The Brew Shed Nottinghamshire I believe?

Anyhow when Andy who shares a similar story to yours of stumbling upon some brewery equipment at a hard to beat price (brewer died) he just took the ball so to speak and ran with it.

Anyhow long story short he started documenting his brewery build journey on YouTube and had garnered a good little following bolstered by harrybrew 69 giving him a good plug on his channel.

Anyhow don't know if you've thought about starting a Vlog on your brewery it might generate some interesting and some sales across the bar.

I hear now 4 priest Murgy Straight is on sale at Harry's you could get a bit of a following going is all.

Regardless of my rambling you know where your going with this all the best going forward i bet your excited about what lays ahead!
Keep us posted please:)

Scaling the brewing is next. I wouldn't want a commercial brewery I don't think but a brewpub/brewery with a bar attached would be pretty cool. I've already been offered a building in a cracking spot but this current one needs to work and prove the concept first.

I will look up those brewers, I do like a success story.

...and the licensing, the licensing is a trip :)

That is what stops allot people here too. By the time the health dept, ATF and the city sign off on the food and liquor license, you could be out of business.

Back