Cold IPA - recipe and BJCP listing

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I happened on the Northern Brewers video that was an interview with the "inventor" of a new beer style - the COLD IPA - Kevin Davey.

I tried to look it up in the BJCP listings to get some guidance for the style but I don't think it has been added to the current list - well I can't see it any way. I am guessing it will eventually be under section 21A - American IPA but it's not there yet.

Further research led me to the recipe listed below. I have yet to transcribe it into a BF recipe and give it a go but the main differences are the way the rice adjunct (or flaked corn) is mashed in to release the sugars. It requires a sample of the American Pilsner malt added to the Rice flour (or flakes) to kick off the gelatinisation (is that the term?) of the adjunct before adding it into the mash proper. In addition there are a lot of the standard "C" type hops and fermentation using a Lager style yeast at the "Warm" end of the fermentation spectrum - I gather that these are the main differences of the style being different to the normal IPA. Well that is what I gathered from the video.

See the video here:

I also cam across the "official" home brew recipe which I have copied below. The recipe is for Relapse - the Wayfinder Brewery originator's name for the beer. I thought it said Prolapse! perhaps not the best name for a beer of 7+%!!!!!

Is anyone up for trying the recipe out? I will when I get the chance.

=======================================================

RELAPSE - COLD IPA RECIPE
Wayfinder is a lager-centric brewery, with half of its beers being clean lagers and half hoppy IPAs,” says Kevin Davey, brewmaster at Wayfinder in Portland, Oregon. “It seemed like a good time to make something that was a fusion of the two: clean and refreshing but hop-fresh with a quick turnaround. Drier, crisper, more drinkable—wester than West Coast.
“On paper, Relapse is aggressively hopped with some classic C-hops,” Davey says. “The grist is more like an American malt liquor: pilsner and rice. When choosing a clean yeast, we considered Chico—but that would have stuck a third strain in our profile and given me a ton of headaches. Plus, everyone makes West Coasts with Chico. So, we decided to use our house lager strain but ferment warm, at 65°F [18°C].”
ALL-GRAIN
Batch size: 5 gallons (19 liters)
Brewhouse efficiency: 72%
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.008
IBUs: 70+
ABV: 7%

MALT/GRAIN BILL
8.4 lb (3.8 kg) Rahr Premium Pilsner or Great Western Superior Pilsen
3.6 lb (1.6 kg) rice flakes or rice flour

HOPS SCHEDULE
0.18 oz (5 g) Magnum [12% AA] at 90 minutes
1.7 ml isomerized hop extract [60% AA] at 90 minutes (for 35 IBUs)
0.6 oz (17 g) each Mosaic [12.25% AA] and Centennial [12% AA] at 10 minutes
0.6 oz (17 g) each Mosaic [12.25% AA] and Centennial [12% AA] at whirlpool for 20 minutes
2.8 oz (79 g) each Chinook and Cascade at dry hop
1.4 oz (40 g) Amarillo at dry hop

YEAST
2 packets of Fermentis SafLager W-34/70
DIRECTIONS
For the cereal mash:</em> Mix the rice flakes with 13 oz (813 g) of crushed malt and 9 quarts (8.5 liters) of 131°F (55°C) water. Once there are no clumps, cereal mash to 167°F (75°C) and rest 15 minutes for gelatinization, stirring the whole time. Continue stirring and bring to a boil; boil this decoction for 30 minutes.
While the cereal mash is boiling, mash in with the malt at 97°F (36°C) and rest there. Once the decoction is finished, carefully add it to the main mash, stirring rapidly, which should bring the whole mash to about 140–144°F (60–62°C). Raise the temperature to 144°F (62°C), if necessary, and rest 30 minutes. Raise the temperature to 154°F (68°C) and rest 30 minutes. Raise the temperature to 162°F (72°C) and rest for 15 minutes. Do an iodine test to ensure that starches have converted, then raise the temperature to 172°F (78°C) and mash out. Sparge and lauter as necessary to get about 6.8 gallons (26 liters) of wort—or more, depending on your evaporation rate.
Boil 90 minutes, adding hops according to schedule. Whirlpool and add the whirlpool hop additions when the wort temperature has dropped to about 190°F (88°C); continue whirlpooling for 20 minutes. Chill the wort to 48°F (9°C), aerate well, and pitch rehydrated yeast. Ferment at 65°F (18°C). When fermentation reaches about 1.012, move the wort to a pressure vessel (such as a keg; must have pressure relief and a safety valve), dry hop, and add 15 psi—via spunding valve, if possible. Once the beer reaches terminal gravity, crash to 30°F (-1°C), remove the yeast and hops, and condition 1 week before filtering and packaging.
BREWER’S NOTES
The pilsner malt should be American—high free-amino nitrogen, high diastatic power; German pilsner malts don’t work as well with adjuncts. For the rice, you could also experiment with skipping the cereal mash and using rice syrup instead of flakes. For the yeast, Kölsch or Chico strains could also work for a “cold IPA.”
We carbonate via spunding and I like that for IPAs; it seems like carb stones can strip away aromatics. So, we dry hop on spunding day, when kräusening with fresh-fermenting Czech pils. It works great: The added fermentation scrubs the oxygen from the dry hops, we get some biotransformation, and it completely carbonates the beer.

I'm confused. Why do a cereal mash on rice flakes (flaked rice)? They are pre-gelatinized.

I make adjunct beers a lot. I would avoid rice flour, the rice that works best for me is Minute Rice. It just pre-cooked rice that has be dehydrated. The flour has a tendency to cause a stuck mash/sparge. The Minute Rice can be added as is to the mash, no pre-cooking required and the flow remains nice even without rice hulls.

I haven't tried a cold IPA, but I will be making a West Coast Pils soon. It a German Pils made with American hops. 35-40 IBU's, 1.050 SG with no dry hopping.

I love the Cold IPAs that I've tried. I've got a recipe to brew someday to use up the last of my Azacca hops

Def intreaged I think 34/70 is a great allrounder house Strain yeast.
This is new territory for me though I'm gunna sit on the fence some more until I can wrap my head around this a bit more.

So clean crisp hoppy lager that sounds difficult to get right:p!

Def intreaged I think 34/70 is a great allrounder house Strain yeast.
This is new territory for me though I'm gunna sit on the fence some more until I can wrap my head around this a bit more.

So clean crisp hoppy lager that sounds difficult to get right:p!
It doesn't always taste crispy like a lager tho. I think its due to the higher ferm temps and hop bursting additions. But it should be very pale and very bright like a lager.

I thought those things were the same as an IPL - Basically, a hoppy lager.
I've had some good ones at the various breweries.
One of these days, I would love to do one too.

Not the same as an IPL. A Cold IPA fits the gravity and bitterness of a regular IPA. IPL's fit the gravity and bitterness of a traditional pale lager

I watched the video and learned never to call a Cold IPA an IPL! :D I do see his point though. And @Sunfire96's explanation makes the difference even clearer.

You know what this world needs... an American light lager, but it's fermented warm, and high strength, and a buttload of hops, and if we put "IPA" in the name then it might sell.

Nevermind that it has absolutely nothing to do with India, nor is it an ale.

Who comes up with the names for this crap!? The crimes against India need to stop. This is really a Hoppy Imperial California Common Pale Beer, or HICCoP for short. Wouldn't that sell?!

Anyway, this style probably IS common in California, I'll bet.

I don't drink a lot of 7%ers in quantity anymore. I did have a taster of a Cold IPA that was pretty damn tasty tonight. O.k. I get the gravity thing now. I think the last thing called an IPL that I had was pretty damn good too, but I remember something in the upper 5s or lower 6s, so that does make sense..Kind of like a Pale Ale vs. IPA. Call it what you want, but basically the same thing except the gravity and hop levels.

You know what this world needs... an American light lager, but it's fermented warm, and high strength, and a buttload of hops, and if we put "IPA" in the name then it might sell.

Nevermind that it has absolutely nothing to do with India, nor is it an ale.

Who comes up with the names for this crap!? The crimes against India need to stop. This is really a Hoppy Imperial California Common Pale Beer, or HICCoP for short. Wouldn't that sell?!

Anyway, this style probably IS common in California, I'll bet.
Oh, I have another for what I am drinking now.. HBESBTIAA or Home Brew English Special Bitters That I Absolutely Adore. LOL

Never knew this was a style until the breweries here started doing them. Been making it for years!

As previously stated, it's basically an IPA with a lager yeast. I did them here in the winter for that reason, too cold for ale yeasts.

Stay away from the sulphery lager yeasts and they can be really good. I personally like s-23, but 34/70 is also a great choice. If you're temperature challenged, and don't really care about exacts of style, you can use Nottingham (I did all this winter) which is an English ale yeast that goes really well down to 10C. Fermented in 3 days at 11C for me!

Isn't a cold IPA what we used to call an IPL (India Pale Lager)?

I saw another style on a board recently that made me smile too, "Hoppy Blonde".
Is that more descriptive or sell better than "Pale Ale" :)

Back