Least favorite style or ingredient

I'm a WLP002 fan but I love malt in all its manifestations. Have never tried the Safale.

Safale S-04 does suck; I don't care for it either. Not only the taste, but the rock-hard cake of yeast in the bottom of my carboy was a pain to get out of it. It settled too quickly for my taste, and it just didn't make a very good ale. There was something "off" about the whole brew and I never could pin it down... Safale S-04 was the only unknown variable, and it was foisted onto me by my LHBS because they didn't have any of the yeast I really wanted.

It is difficult to say what is my least favorite style, but I'll have to go with any ales that are aggressively hopped at the end of the boil, or dry hopped. Our local brewery has a line of force dry-hopped beers called the "Dragon Series" and as a general rule, I can't stand them nor drink them. One sip and my tastebuds go into shock and nothing tastes the same, not even food or other drinks, until about 6 hours later.

Overly aggressive hopping is number two on my list of things not to do with perfectly good barley. I love a good hop finish but once it gets past a certain point, yuck.

sbaclimber said:
Kölsch!
I am not sure if it so much the taste that bugs me, or the small-ass glasses they serve it in... :roll:

....Yeah, and that long ass drive to Cologne Germany.

GernBlanston said:
sbaclimber said:
Kölsch!
I am not sure if it so much the taste that bugs me, or the small-ass glasses they serve it in... :roll:

It's not as long-assed a drive for SBAClimber and he gets to skip the long swim.

Nosybear said:
GernBlanston said:
sbaclimber said:
Kölsch!

It's not as long-assed a drive for SBAClimber and he gets to skip the long swim.
Very true. It's only a 5hr drive for me, but I definitely wouldn't drive it for Kölsch ;)

A while back I made an historical IPA with all Fuggles hops. I thought the hops tasted weird. Does anyone else have an opinion on Fuggles? Maybe it's because I also think that adding tons of hops to perfectly good malt doesn't make a great beer.

Today I brewed a Helles -- very long brew day with the decoction mash not going according to plan. I couldn't maintain the correct temperatures to save my life. The hops were beautiful though.

As to styles, gotta love the wee heavies. Perfect for the tough brew day. And now I have to see if the wort has cooled down enough to pitch the yeast.

At the brewery today, I discovered I don't care for sour beer, either. They were out of their nut brown, but I'm drinking my own right now. It's all good!

Back