Norwegian Farmhouse ale

Dogwood

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My wife and I were in Granby CO a few months ago. A brewpub there had a Norwegian Farmhouse ale that was quite good, malty and about 7% abv. I have been looking for Norwegian beer recipes but can only find ones that are pilsner style. Anyone have a good recipe for me? I've got juniper and Norwegian yeast ready to go. Thanks!!

I believe you might want to look up some Kornol recipes, that's one of the traditional styles they brew there. I believe it's a blend of pale malts only, and with heavy juniper in the mash. I think it's also traditionally a raw ale, not boiled. Let the yeast and the juniper give off all the expression.

Correct, Kornøl is a raw ale.

Just be sure you have the right kind of Juniper, the most common type found in the US is not the same as what's used in scandinavia and may be poisonous

I did a
Correct, Kornøl is a raw ale.

Just be sure you have the right kind of Juniper, the most common type found in the US is not the same as what's used in scandinavia and may be poisonous

Thanks for the heads up but... I did a search and it seems to be the berrys? The plant came from a local nursery and I will call and check up on this!! Again, thanks!!

Keep us posted!

A great tradition in Norway, which probably went the way of the Edsel when Lutherans became too orthodox in their opposition of fun (dancing) and alcohol.

Families had a magic paddle for stirring that was passed down through the years.

Read somewhere that, in the olden days, you ended up in Iceland if your farm didn’t brew beer.

Is that amount of the smoked malt going to be overkill? My understanding is that stuff can be pretty strong.
I guess a Norwegian version of a Saison? It sounds damn interesting.
I guess the low IBUs are because of all spices - like doing a pumpkin.

Is that amount of the smoked malt going to be overkill? My understanding is that stuff can be pretty strong.
I guess a Norwegian version of a Saison? It sounds damn interesting.
I guess the low IBUs are because of all spices - like doing a pumpkin.
It's cherry-smoked malt, quite a bit tamer than the oak-smoked stuff we're used to.

Just got off the phone talking to an old brew friend of mine.

I got him brewing over 2 1/2 years ago after telling him about Kviek yeast and how forgiving they are to brew with.

Well long story short this shows how versatile and forgiving true UN selected kviek can be.

He is still brewing with the same yeast I gave him 2 and a half years ago:D!

I couldn't stop laughing wow that's soo cool

So the strain is Framgarden kviek yeast I loved it because of its tropic fruit esters it would contribute to a hazy style Brew.

So I gave him a jar of this stuff after brewing with it for awhile and he has continually top cropped it bottom cropped at times when he missed the krausen and recently has been just saving some of the dregs out of a couple of bottles and just dumping that into the hot fermenter and watching the airlock near jump out from the frantic fermentations.

Man it just blows my mind that all this time later I hear he's still using the exact same mutated strain I bought from the yeasterbunny online lol.

:p:p

It just shows hombrewing don't need to be fancy shmancy.

Just got off the phone talking to an old brew friend of mine.

I got him brewing over 2 1/2 years ago after telling him about Kviek yeast and how forgiving they are to brew with.

Well long story short this shows how versatile and forgiving true UN selected kviek can be.

He is still brewing with the same yeast I gave him 2 and a half years ago:D!

I couldn't stop laughing wow that's soo cool

So the strain is Framgarden kviek yeast I loved it because of its tropic fruit esters it would contribute to a hazy style Brew.

So I gave him a jar of this stuff after brewing with it for awhile and he has continually top cropped it bottom cropped at times when he missed the krausen and recently has been just saving some of the dregs out of a couple of bottles and just dumping that into the hot fermenter and watching the airlock near jump out from the frantic fermentations.

Man it just blows my mind that all this time later I hear he's still using the exact same mutated strain I bought from the yeasterbunny online lol.

:p:p

It just shows hombrewing don't need to be fancy shmancy.
Where there's a will there's a way :D more power to him!

Where there's a will there's a way :D more power to him!
He's getting all my grain so he's a happy chappy.

Only thing that sux is I can't taste test and give him feed back on what he call his "on special hazy kviek brews":p!

I feel I'm the yin for his yang brewing style lol.

Back