Primitive cider (again)

I work with a commercial brewer and they brew Carlsberg from harvested yeast. I remember them telling me that they will re-use 5 or 6 times tops and then start again. Not sure why it loses its mojo but it seems that it does so, yes, maybe time for you to start over with a new culture?

I must get some fresh cider on myself, really like having it around.

I better start counting the number of saisons I made on the same yeast. I think this (the one almost ready for bottling) may be the 4th or 5th.
I think I still have a pack of belle saison from lallemand

I'm sure somebody will be along in a minute to say that's nonsense and that yeast cultures can be used ad infinitum :)

I don't mind testing it out with my cider from store bought apple juice, but I would hate loosing a batch of beer.
Anyway, checked.
I'm on 3rd batch saison (1st on yeast, 2 & 3 on trub) and 4th or fifth of cider (1 batch saison beer, 3 or 4 batches cider on trub)
So, going to go ahead and pitch another saison beer on trub and will change the cider to M47 yeast (trub of batch of belgian ale beer).

I don't mind testing it out with my cider from store bought apple juice, but I would hate loosing a batch of beer.
Anyway, checked.
I'm on 3rd batch saison (1st on yeast, 2 & 3 on trub) and 4th or fifth of cider (1 batch saison beer, 3 or 4 batches cider on trub)
So, going to go ahead and pitch another saison beer on trub and will change the cider to M47 yeast (trub of batch of belgian ale beer).
I've noticed when repitched yeast starts to get a little old it will finish at a higher FG than normal. Which may not be terrible in a cider...they tend to end super low for me anyway. And then I think the next symptom of too-old yeast is off flavors. Hopefully you won't get that

I generally only brew about once a month. So when I save yeast it sits in the fridge for about a month sometimes two months if I happen to use something different. I have gone 4 or 5 batches on the same yeast in the past with no starter with no problems. Using about 1 pint of leftover bottoms . I don't think I would go more than that as who knows what gets in the batches or comes with the grain.

My wife and I are getting settled into our new home in Eugene, OR. We brought with us a gallon of Martinelli’s apple juice, and a pack of cider yeast. I think we’ll make a batch of cider this weekend, even though we have available an extensive array of commercially produced ciders.

My wife and I are getting settled into our new home in Eugene, OR. We brought with us a gallon of Martinelli’s apple juice, and a pack of cider yeast. I think we’ll make a batch of cider this weekend, even though we have available an extensive array of commercially produced ciders.
Always good to have your own brewed.

Always good to have your own brewed.
Thanks for the reminder, as I/we forgot to make cider. Lots of work being done on our home, so preoccupied for the time being. At least I had the forethought to feed my sourdough starter, so I’ll be baking bread tonight.

Thanks for the reminder, as I/we forgot to make cider. Lots of work being done on our home, so preoccupied for the time being. At least I had the forethought to feed my sourdough starter, so I’ll be baking bread tonight.
Don't let them good old habits die Fast herm In the spirit of homebrewing always great to have something fermenting around the house.

Maybe think of it as a house christening the first batch or hombrew in the new Haunts;)

Last edited:
SO needed apple cider for a cake recipe, so I asked if I could ferment the rest :D gypsum, yeast nutrient and Lutra. Gonna have a cider variety pack for fall!
20220917_121230.jpg

I've just put a 1 litre pet bottle in the fridge as I think carbonation is OK.
Testing tomorrow or the day after.
And I'm doing well... Been stocking up on juice whenever I'm in town. Got another 15 cartons of 1 litre each :)

And I quote:l, as I fully agree: Man, I like a simple cider :D

I have personally never made a complex cider :D
I have and it was no better than simple.
Edit if not worse!
I had a thing going with my local fruit shop that they'd put aside the overripe apples and pears for me .
I promised the girls cider in return.

Well my brevil juicer was to small for the task of processing all that fruit and so was I :p.

There is a bloke here on sunny coast who cut his teeth in Germany making cider.
He now produces cider here locally from seconds apples grown down the grannit belt in Stanthorpe.

Anyhow brewing can be as complex or simple as you'd like eh;).

Turns out the cider has preservatives :oops: oops

Back