volume increases from adjunct sugars?

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a "standard" number for increase in volume per type of anhydrous sugar added?

For other sugars... I know that 1 quart of honey = 6 lbs, so for every pound of honey the volume will increase about 0.1666666667 quarts

On Candi Syrups website: http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/csi_doc_-_volumetrics-_rev_1.3.pdf they say that 1 lbs of candi syrup is 10.4 fluid ounces, which means for every pound of Candi syrup the volume increases 0.325 quarts.

I'm curious if there is a relatively uniform number for Dextrose, Cane Sugar, Brown Sugar, Lactose, Maltodextrin, etc. In my head I'm assuming no? Because I'm guessing their volume doesn't equal their weight? I think dextrose and cane sugar should result in the same gravity change, but one being a fine powder and the other being more crystalized and sandy, they should have slightly different volume increases?

I've never seen definitive information, but am open to it!

The particle size shouldn't matter, as the volume increase is when dissolved, so it shouldn't matter how crystalized or sandy it is. For the most part the biggest contributing factor should be the gravity potential, and the moisture % by weight. Could probably derive a formula from those 2 pieces of information that was fairly accurate, but in practice each of those volume and gravity increases should be well documented. I'll check the code later to see where that info is pulling from.

So would adding a pound of sugar* add the equivalent volume if a pound of water?

Perhaps not precisely but more than close enough for our purposes I would think.

*Or honey or bees or lawn clippings or...

So would adding a pound of sugar* add the equivalent volume if a pound of water?

Perhaps not precisely but more than close enough for our purposes I would think.

*Or honey or bees or lawn clippings or...
You making bee beer now Don?

Perhaps not precisely but more than close enough for our purposes I would think

1 lbs of water = 453.592 grams = 453.592 mL = 15.33777019 fl oz = 1.91722127375 US Cups

According to a couple of internet sources, 1 lbs of dextrose = ~ 3 US cups.

This conclusion might be totally wrong, but am I lead to understand that 1 lbs of dextrose should contribute the difference between those two volumes? 1 lbs of water is 1.91722.. US Cups and 1 lbs of Dextrose is 3 US cups, so, for every pound per gallon Dextrose should increase the volume by about 1.0827787263 US Cups = 8.6622298104 fl oz. I might be completely wrong, though.

Not quite that simple, the easiest way is going to be to take the mass of both ingredients, and the gravity potential of the lb of sugar, then from there you can leverage the fact that gravity is the ratio of density in reference to water.

sugar has a potential of 1.044 IIRC. So 1 lb of sugar dissolved in a RESULTING solution of 1 gallon will have a gravity of 1.044 times the density of water (8.345 * 1.044=8.71218 lbs)

Subtract the lb of sugar, and you get 7.71218 lbs of water or 0.92417 gallons of water. So the 1 lb of sugar added 0.07583 gallons (1.457088526 cups).

Note that this is all with a resulting solution of 1 gallon, so if you dissolved 1 lb of sugar INTO 1 gallon of water, you will add slightly less volume and the resulting SG will be slightly lower. The SG curve is non-linear as well so it won't be quite a linear proportion, so throw an asterisk on all of those numbers but it's close enough for us when dealing with 1 lb and 1 gallon, the difference will be less than the resolution of our hydrometers haha.

Back