Straining Adjuncts Before Bottling

Bad Raccoon Brewing

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've got a saison in the fermenter that is full of orange peel, coriander, etc. I normally syphon from the fermenter into the bottling bucket before bottling. I'm afraid if I do that with this batch, I'm going to clog the syphon immediately. One option is to just pour it directly from the fermenter to the bucket, using a sanitized fine-mesh strainer. I know that will expose it to a lot of air; is that a significant problem? Any other problems I'm not thinking of? Any other (better) solutions?

Thanks, all!

Maybe put some screen on the input of the siphon?

I use this and it keeps all the floating stuff contained from the start

Beer Filter Dry Hopper Beer Brew (2.75 x 7.08inch) https://a.co/d/0MMPn2k

Maybe put some screen on the input of the siphon?

I use this and it keeps all the floating stuff contained from the start

Beer Filter Dry Hopper Beer Brew (2.75 x 7.08inch) https://a.co/d/0MMPn2k
Thanks! That probably would work. I assume this would not strain out all the yeast? I need some for carbonation in the bottles!

Thanks! That probably would work. I assume this would not strain out all the yeast? I need some for carbonation in the bottles!
Yeast is small. Really small. A paper filter might get some, but a strainer, even a very fine one, will not.

Maybe zip-tie a stainless steel scrubber onto the pickup end? Like this for example?

One option is to just pour it directly from the fermenter to the bucket, using a sanitized fine-mesh strainer. I know that will expose it to a lot of air; is that a significant problem?

Definitely do not pour the beer into your bottling bucket. When transferring to the bottling bucket, you want to be as gentle as possible to avoid mixing oxygen into your beer as that will cause oxidation. While you can't eliminate oxygen ingress during bottling, you certainly don't want to maximize it. A filter on the end of the siphon is your only real option.

Last edited:
That looks like a great solution @Minbari
I just got one and will try this next time bottling.
So just clean/spray with starsan, then carefully lower into fermenter and put siphon pipe into it?

That looks like a great solution @Minbari
I just got one and will try this next time bottling.
So just clean/spray with starsan, then carefully lower into fermenter and put siphon pipe into it?
that could work. I really meant to put all the hops and adjusts in the hop strainer so it doesnt get in the fermentor.

that could work. I really meant to put all the hops and adjusts in the hop strainer so it doesnt get in the fermentor.

I was going at it the other way; adjuncts are already free-floating, so I was going to just slip this over the end of the syphon tube. It looks like it is only a couple inches wide.

I was going at it the other way; adjuncts are already free-floating, so I was going to just slip this over the end of the syphon tube. It looks like it is only a couple inches wide.
for this batch, yes

it is 2 3/4"

The orange peel and coriander seeds are almost certainly sitting on the bottom of the fermentor, so you could just hold the end of the siphon an inch above the bottom and avoid sucking them up. I usually just put a clamp on my autosiphon to hold it in place while I rack to the bottling bucket.

Conical fermenters work well for removing fine sediment, but my understanding is that you have loose chunky bits. The basket would have helped a lot more to hold the chunks while they were doing their thing. Just make sure to keep the top of the basket above liquid level if you use it in the future for your adjuncts. Not sure why anyone would design a 400 micron basket with 1/8” holes in the lid, but I have that basket. It works very well for adjuncts and dry hopping. The rest of the insoluble stuff settles in the collection ball and is easily removed before transferring for bottling, and the valve on the bottom gets rid of needing a siphon

Be careful and avoid straining yourself! :rolleyes:

Uffff!

I'm a little late to the party but, can you cold crash without getting any suck back? Maybe put a CO 2 filled balloon on the fermentation lock side of things?

Thanks for all the helpful advice! Bottling is still a ways off (it's a saison using Wyeast 3724, so fermentation could take awhile to complete...)

Uffff!

I'm a little late to the party but, can you cold crash without getting any suck back? Maybe put a CO 2 filled balloon on the fermentation lock side of things?

That is what I do. Just use a zip lock bag
Usually a one gallon bag if it is a 2.5 gallon batch in my Spidel Ill use a two gallon bag.
Just replace the bubbler with the bag.

Uffff!

This is how I do it. Once fermentation has begun and bubbling has purged the head space, Open the valve and let the balloon fill. When you cold crash, it will deflate slightly. No suckback
Make sure you don't open the valve right away or you will just fill the balloon with o2

20220828_183038.jpg

This is how I do it. Once fermentation has begun and bubbling has purged the head space, Open the valve and let the balloon fill. When you cold crash, it will deflate slightly. No suckback
Make sure you don't open the valve right away or you will just fill the balloon with o2

View attachment 22055
Is the BFH in the background for adjusting your recipe?

The grain mill...

Back