WestCoast with Rye and Wet Hopped

Robert68

Trial Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for ideas to brew a west coast ipa with rye..... we have a bunch of chinook and cascade hops (fresh). Just thought it would be good to ask the group for their input. Thanks in advance!

I would start with a good pale ale malt, like Maris Otter if you can get it. Use the rye malt between 10-15% based on how pronounced you want it. Use Chinook to bitter at the start of the boil, and then use equal amounts of Cascade and Chinook for the rest of the boil and dry hop. A Chico yeast or British ale yeast would work well. Add some gypsum for sulfate if you've got some. I've heard that fresh hops take much higher quantity for the same IBUs compared to dried, but I've never used them myself. Cheers and good luck!

I would start with a good pale ale malt, like Maris Otter if you can get it. Use the rye malt between 10-15% based on how pronounced you want it. Use Chinook to bitter at the start of the boil, and then use equal amounts of Cascade and Chinook for the rest of the boil and dry hop. A Chico yeast or British ale yeast would work well. Add some gypsum for sulfate if you've got some. I've heard that fresh hops take much higher quantity for the same IBUs compared to dried, but I've never used them myself. Cheers and good luck!
Actually we are considering trying out Golden Promise with maybe 10% rye malt just to add some rye character. Agreed that we will definitely need more wet hops than dry hops.....might have to add a few dry hops to get the IBU we are looking for. Thanks for the suggestion of gypsum and sulfate.

Back