carbonation times

Nberry

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the length of time it should take to carbonate a 5-gallon keg of a wheat style beer. My kegerator stays around 45 degrees and the chart shows the psi to be at 17 PSI. it states the carbonation should take about 14 days but that seems like a long time. I don't want to over carbonate as I have had to deal with that in the past and it seems to take half the keg before I get a good level of carbonation. Any thoughts or ideas?

I ussualy set the reg for 30PSI for 3 days then turn it down to serving pressure. (8-12PSI depending on style) it is ussualy ready to serve in 5 days

17 PSI at 45 degrees is at the low end for wheat beers, so you shouldn't have a problem with over carbonation. I typically go set-it-and-forget-it and all's good in a week, so 14 days seems a bit excessive.

That "over carbonation" could be excessive foaming because the serving pressure is too high... every setup is different with several variables, but something to consider. Just a thought.

17 PSI at 45 degrees is at the low end for wheat beers, so you shouldn't have a problem with over carbonation. I typically go set-it-and-forget-it and all's good in a week, so 14 days seems a bit excessive.

That "over carbonation" could be excessive foaming because the serving pressure is too high... every setup is different with several variables, but something to consider. Just a thought.

That is one issue I have been experiencing. I finally got to the point that when it would get foamy, I drop the PSI to about 5 lbs and let the beer settle out. It seems to help it as it will settle down after a couple of days. I have 10 feet of line per tap of 3/16" line. It makes it very crowded with three kegs and all of the beer lines and CO2 lines in the kegarator.

I ussualy set the reg for 30PSI for 3 days then turn it down to serving pressure. (8-12PSI depending on style) it is ussualy ready to serve in 5 days
I recommend trying this - or at least 2 days at 30 and then set to 17 for another 2-3 days. Reduce to 12 and try serving on day 6 to see what you think.

I’m a big fan of natural carbonation in the keg. I use 2.5 gallon kegs with 2-3 ounces of priming sugar, depending on how much carbonation I want for the style. I basically combine secondary fermentation with the carbonation process. I keg the beer, add the sugar, and let it set for two weeks. I then chill the keg and tap it a day or two later. I end up with about half a glass of dropped yeast, then the keg pours clear.

Just another option to experiment with if you’re so inclined.

That is one issue I have been experiencing. I finally got to the point that when it would get foamy, I drop the PSI to about 5 lbs and let the beer settle out. It seems to help it as it will settle down after a couple of days. I have 10 feet of line per tap of 3/16" line. It makes it very crowded with three kegs and all of the beer lines and CO2 lines in the kegarator.
are you having issues with overcarbing/foaming?
I ask because I had issues with foaming and attributed it with over-carbination. turned out it was actually just poor quality beer line. the 100% silicon lines are gas permeable and let the co2 out of the lines. so your first 2 oz or so is nothing but foam.

replaced it with EVA barrier lines and issue went away.

So if the Co2 got out how did make foam?

So if the Co2 got out how did make foam?
you got me, man. but I know this from experimenting. the first two oz after it sat all day were flat and foamy. pour off the foam and the beer after that was fine. (beer in the keg, vs in the lines)

I changed the lines and not an issue after it.

I have adopted this method...CO2 at 30psi for 24 hours I shake the keg for the first 15 minutes or so, then disconnect the CO2. next day before putting the keg in the kegerator, release the pressure and the connect using 10 psi and leave it there until the beer is all gone. It's kind of crazy but it is working for me. I was getting foam the first 3 or 4 pours not any more. I guess you have to try different methods until you find what works for you.

Huge fan of this chart...

All credit to Brew Cabin for putting it together.

PS. Foaming can be a result of your lines being too short. Most kegerators ship with 6ft lines, but need 9ft+ to restrict the surface tension enough for a good pour. Google "Keg Line Replacement Calculator" and you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• burst carb.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 32
I'm a big fan of placing my keg in the kegerator that's set for 34f-36f at 11-12 psi and forgetting about it for 10 days. If I want it quicker I spund for the back half of fermentation and it's ready after 1-5 days in the kegerator.

45f just sounds like the beer would always pour foamy with any decent amount of carbonation but that could just be my nieve American cold beer drinking self talking.

I'm a big fan of placing my keg in the kegerator that's set for 34f-36f at 11-12 psi and forgetting about it for 10 days. If I want it quicker I spund for the back half of fermentation and it's ready after 1-5 days in the kegerator.

45f just sounds like the beer would always pour foamy with any decent amount of carbonation but that could just be my nieve American cold beer drinking self talking.

dont think you are wrong. I tried mine at 45F and couldnt get good clean pour ever. set mine at 38 and let it warm up in the glass if needs be.

Back