HELP ASAP !!!!!!!!

kelliott

Trial Member
Reaction score
i did my first brew last night of an oatmeal stout extract from brewers best i follwed the directions to a T and in six hours the lid to my primary fermenter blew off it keeps blowing off is this normal or did i do something wrong if anyone could please help me it would be great as i am new to homebrewing thank you and have a happy holiday

Something's clogged. Check your airlock and see if there's a clog in there. Your fermenter might be too full as well, pushing krauesen (the foam) up into the airlock and clogging it all over again. If you're using a blow-off tube, check it for kinks and clogs. But make sure that gas can get out or it will continue, hopefully, to blow the top off the fermenter.

thank you for the help i had to toss the wort/beer because my puppy got in to it he likes beer. im picking up the same kit again to do it over as i like oatmeal stout. my other brew i did on 12 23 2012 an american light lager is doing good. just a general question now does anyone keep brewing a certain kind of beer i.e bud light etc type beers for all the people that don't like good beer

When I started brewing, I tried brewing to please others. Quickly learned to brew for myself and others will begin drinking it.

You mentioned a puppy got into the wort. Wow that must have been a mess, and sorry to hear about that. One thing you should be aware of is dogs and hops don't mix. In fact, hops can kill dogs:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/05/09/hops-and-dogs/

I compost my grain but I toss my spent hops into the sealed green yard debris bin so no dogs get into it.

My grandfather made wine in his basement. According to my grandmother, once a cat jumped into the fermentor. He still drank the finished product though... :)

LarryBrewer said:
You mentioned a puppy got into the wort. Wow that must have been a mess, and sorry to hear about that. One thing you should be aware of is dogs and hops don't mix. In fact, hops can kill dogs:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/05/09/hops-and-dogs/

I compost my grain but I toss my spent hops into the sealed green yard debris bin so no dogs get into it.

My grandfather made wine in his basement. According to my grandmother, once a cat jumped into the fermentor. He still drank the finished product though... :)

Feline wine :lol:

Sharing my Oatmeal Stout recipe. It uses toasted oats instead of plain - might be better than the kit....

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... rtial-mash

You can combine the chocolate and roasted barley, use Marris Otter for the base malt, ditch the crystal for a more British malt style.... The possibilities are endless.

Happy Brewing and a good, tight seal keeps the cats out of the beer!

Oh, on the American Lager thing, words of wisdom from someone (I can't remember who) other than myself:

Life's too short to brew bad beer.

Do what you like. They can buy Bud in the supermarkets.

Cheers!

kelliott said:
thank you for the help i had to toss the wort/beer because my puppy got in to it he likes beer.

Too bad you dumped it. It may have been fine. I was going to suggest to set the fermentor into a large tub and let it do its thing until it stops and then track to a clean and sanized vessel.

When stuff comes out, little can get in.

Btw, as soon add you add yeast, wort becomes beer from a technical point. I.e. you dumped beer and not wort. But many don't get the nomenclature right either.

Kai

Ever figure out the clogging problem?

Back