A tale of two recipes - Marzen

Will definitely give it a whirl if I see it at HB store.
So dry lager yeast made by lallamand?

I know Dr Hans likes that Chinese Angel yeast will give that a crack too if i see it...
@Robert68 mighta seen it over there?

Finally getting around to brewing this tonight. I think I’ve designed a recipe that will meet my goals regardless of whether it’s true to style or not. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Finally getting around to brewing this tonight. I think I’ve designed a recipe that will meet my goals regardless of whether it’s true to style or not. Wish me luck!
That you're happy with it is all that matters. I beat up on two Marzens last night for their use of crystal malt, though.

That you're happy with it is all that matters. I beat up on two Marzens last night for their use of crystal malt, though.
I don't think I could tell the difference between 0 and 2% crystal malt but that's great you can. I rarely go above 5% crystal malt in any circumstance for what I like to brew. Not sure if you saw my final recipe...

I've seen hatred for caramel malt in a German beer before, but have listened to interviews with German brewers that put caramel malts in their traditional styles. Is caramel against the style guidelines for a Marzen?

I've seen hatred for caramel malt in a German beer before, but have listened to interviews with German brewers that put caramel malts in their traditional styles. Is caramel against the style guidelines for a Marzen?
I’ll let the pros handle this one but my perspective is it really doesn’t matter if it tastes on point. They don’t ask for recipes at competitions and I’ve seen some winning recipes that you wouldn’t think would fit the bill.

I think it’s appropriate if used sparingly however I’m not doing decoctions. That actually might be a reason to use bit in hopes of developing more complexity. I think some caramunich in something like a dunkel is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Only if the caramel flavors become detectable or the beer becomes sweet, as mentioned, we don't get recipes when judging. The style guide calls for toasty malt, no caramel ever foots that bill, instead the Vienna - Melanoidin family are what gives those flavors. A touch, and you say 2%, might give it that Certain Something that makes it stand out in a flight but if I can taste caramel or toffee, you're starting in the 30's.

Kegged this last night. Finished at 1.010 which was lower than expected. Sample tasted more toasty than malty but definitely crisp. Excited for this once it has a couple weeks on it. Definitely on the lighter side color wise

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/302575/goschafest
Cool! Would love to see a sample in a month or so after lagering.

I concocted this before bed last night it was on my mindhttps://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1317753/1-3-mvp-lager
Not a marzen but I wondered what 1/3 of each would taste like might brew this after the Q4

Cool! Would love to see a sample in a month or so after lagering.

I concocted this before bed last night it was on my mindhttps://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1317753/1-3-mvp-lager
Not a marzen but I wondered what 1/3 of each would taste like might brew this after the Q4
Couldn’t make a bad beer with that!

Time will tell with mine. Had a couple carbed samples tonight and it has potential. I guess I was going for something close to marzen without worrying about nailing.

Couldn’t make a bad beer with that!

Time will tell with mine. Had a couple carbed samples tonight and it has potential. I guess I was going for something close to marzen without worrying about nailing.
Yeah that Munich lager beer I posted in here was yum quite malty for my tastes even at that percentage but I felt even the 1.5% eclipse wheat i used from Gladfield came through a bit but that could also be a velora ale instead of pilsner malt I think i need to re brew that too and see if pilsner gives a cleaner malt flavour.

One fella who tasted it while stayiny at my place said he thought if was like Stella I quickly corrected him and said I was aiming for something a bit more malty lol .

Stella artois and that are miles apart maybe I was cuz it was free beer:D

Back