How's this Porter Recipe Look?

I'll refer to others, but that much Munich might be a little overkill. I used it in about the 16% range, and I used Munich I vs. Munich II. I would be scared of the attenuation of something like that using a yeast that doesn't attenuate anyway. I used the Irish Ale Yeast which at least attenuates in the 70s. You are going to get a huge amount of maltiness at that level.
I used about that amount of Chocolate (Chocolate 350 - 1lb in 5 gallons). I used Crystal 120 instead of the 60, but I didn't use the Roasted Barley either. It doesn't sound like you want to do an oatmeal, but the flaked oats in mine were awesome.

I have always thought of a stout having a drier finish, say a Guinness as opposed to what I consider to be a sweeter finishing London Porter.

Interesting article on the history:
https://blackhops.com.au/stout-vs-porter/

I have always thought of a stout having a drier finish, say a Guinness as opposed to what I consider to be a sweeter finishing London Porter.

Interesting article on the history:
https://blackhops.com.au/stout-vs-porter/
I think, in general, that's true. But I don't think it's a hard and fast rule. Obviously, Sweet (Milk) Stouts, Tropical Stouts and even Oatmeal Stouts are not dry to the finish. However, the use of Roasted Barley is what usually times them to "Stout".

In the end though, the beer is whatever the brewer calls it. :)

"dry" porter?
To me, Porter = "sweeter", "drier" would be more like a stout?
Yes? No?

Oh jeez...not this quandary.....let's just call it "Really Dark Beer that can be dry or sweet"! :);). Ya gotta remember...story's about beer history are usually exchanged while drinking beer!

Oh jeez...not this quandary.....let's just call it "Really Dark Beer that can be dry or sweet"! :);). Ya gotta remember...story's about beer history are usually exchanged while drinking beer!

..........In the end though, the beer is whatever the brewer calls it. :)

kinda my feelings too. stout, porter.............to-mato, -tom-ato

Yeah, I'd usually just use s05, but I need to use the Windsor before it gets too old. Hopefully it won't be too sweet.
I'm loving the idea! I agree Windsor is notorious for lower attenuation but I think it will do this beer good! Recipe looks good - I like that you mention you like the roast in your porter, hence the RB. I don't mind it in porter but I rarely ever use it - but I swear I keep tasting it pop up in Craft Brown ales and that drive me nuts! lol

Keep us posted on the results!

By this point, I'm afraid my original recipe has turned into a slightly lighter version of a Founder's Clone, which is not a problem for me. I've dropped the roasted malt for black patent, just because it seemed like the right thing to do. This time anyway.

Turned out pretty good. Think I'll add some flaked oats next time.

Oats are a great addition that will change the mouth feel for a nice smooth finish....that and a few extra gravity points so .... winner winner..stout with dinner!

Oats are a great addition that will change the mouth feel for a nice smooth finish....that and a few extra gravity points so .... winner winner..stout with dinner!
So let's talk about oats for a second: can one use 5-minute (unflavored) oatmeal? Steel cut? Regular oats? Instant? Or must I spend triple the price at the LHBS to get the "special" oaties??

So let's talk about oats for a second: can one use 5-minute (unflavored) oatmeal? Steel cut? Regular oats? Instant? Or must I spend triple the price at the LHBS to get the "special" oaties??
My understanding is that as long as they're gelatinized they're good to go

I just use regular breakfast oats from the cupboard buy maybe one for you to try for yourself Don:)

what they said x 2! I use plain old Quaker or IGA's house brand in the case of my last batch of brown. No instant or steel cut, just plain old rolled oates.

Back