Post primary dilemma

Looking good!

Just peeked at the recipe (sorry I missed it before) - type @(my name) next time to flag me.
- You added lactose and the peanut butter powder under other ingredients and it looks like that caused your expected readings to be off. The lactose would bump you up .02 points OG and FG. Then considering that you were 156 F with your mash and using 2.5 lbs of caramel/dextrine malt you may have a good bit of body so FG is probably a bit higher then the recipe is calculating for.

Do you use US05 a lot? If so what is your average attenuation? Recipe was set for 81% - seems a bit high - maybe more like 75-77?

Lastly, I have no idea how the PB powder would affect the recipe but I'm guessing it would add a good bit of protein, and a some sugar.... maybe even unfermentable sugar... and oil (head retention/formation may suffer). So that may account for the 1.023 to 1.030 jump? Did you take gravity reading before and aafter adding the PBP? That may help you determine a few things about it (try it next time you make this) to see what it adds gravity-wise and then later to see how much residual sugar it adds.
I didn't think about the caramel malt throwing the numbers off. I was looking to add more body and head retention. I also need to pay more attention to the auto settings in the recipe builder. I didn't set it to 81%. Mid seventies is what I usually get from US 05, so that makes sense. I'm surprised it actually came out as good as it did so I'm going to make another batch of this in a few weeks and I'll pay closer attention to the details. This was the first batch of beer I've made in six years and forgot more than I remember! . Thanks for the response

I didn't think about the caramel malt throwing the numbers off. I was looking to add more body and head retention. I also need to pay more attention to the auto settings in the recipe builder. I didn't set it to 81%. Mid seventies is what I usually get from US 05, so that makes sense. I'm surprised it actually came out as good as it did so I'm going to make another batch of this in a few weeks and I'll pay closer attention to the details. This was the first batch of beer I've made in six years and forgot more than I remember! . Thanks for the response
You can set your brew house % in your equipment profile I'm sure.

6 years! Welcome back. You picked a doozy for your first batch back in the game! LOL Glad to hear it is tasting great.

6 years! Welcome back. You picked a doozy for your first batch back in the game! LOL Glad to hear it is tasting great.
Thanks. Yeah, I had just purchased a 25 gallon brew kettle and other upgrades to start making larger batches, then bought a new house and new demands on my life took over. All that stuff ended up in a corner of the basement until now. I've been thinking about making a clone of Gunner's Daughter for quite a while and Damn Skippy! is my first attempt. It's pretty close so I can't complain!

Thanks. Yeah, I had just purchased a 25 gallon brew kettle and other upgrades to start making larger batches, then bought a new house and new demands on my life took over. All that stuff ended up in a corner of the basement until now. I've been thinking about making a clone of Gunner's Daughter for quite a while and Damn Skippy! is my first attempt. It's pretty close so I can't complain!
Gunner's Daughter is excellent! You must live in Maine or New Hampshire? I'm in Maine myself.

Gunner's Daughter is excellent! You must live in Maine or New Hampshire? I'm in Maine myself.
Maine is a beautiful place to be. Consider yourself a lucky man. I'm a big fan of blueberries and Bob Marley! I lived my first 50 years in Springfield, MA. Now I'm in the Northeastern Connecticut countryside surrounded by horse farms. Much better environment for the soul.

Maine is a beautiful place to be. Consider yourself a lucky man. I'm a big fan of blueberries and Bob Marley! I lived my first 50 years in Springfield, MA. Now I'm in the Northeastern Connecticut countryside surrounded by horse farms. Much better environment for the soul.
Very cool that you can get Gunner's Daughter down there!

Back