What's your next brew

Yup, they are. Never have done the soak thing. Maybe just been lucky, but haven't had an issue with it
Umm, if roasted, why would they need sanitizing? One would think that happened while being roasted.

I just dropped 'em in my Oatmeal Stout like dry-hopping. Turned out pretty yummy. Better than using them as adjunct in the boil, anyway. Lost a lot of the chocolate aroma from the cacao, and was a bit dependent on the Crystal 60 for the coffee aroma/taste. Cacao nibs in the secondary/dry hop, though, REALLY made that tasty.

Speakin' of which, about time to put a couple batches of the stout on to let it age for the winter. I get a bit lazy with my brewing once I have something drinkable on the shelf.

Umm, if roasted, why would they need sanitizing? One would think that happened while being roasted.

I just dropped 'em in my Oatmeal Stout like dry-hopping. Turned out pretty yummy. Better than using them as adjunct in the boil, anyway. Lost a lot of the chocolate aroma from the cacao, and was a bit dependent on the Crystal 60 for the coffee aroma/taste. Cacao nibs in the secondary/dry hop, though, REALLY made that tasty.

Speakin' of which, about time to put a couple batches of the stout on to let it age for the winter. I get a bit lazy with my brewing once I have something drinkable on the shelf.
Was kinda my thinking too. They are roasted, dry and in a sealed bag

I do the dry hop thing too. 4oz in 5 gallons after primary ferm is done

Was kinda my thinking too. They are roasted, dry and in a sealed bag

I do the dry hop thing too. 4oz in 5 gallons after primary ferm is done
Can't remember if I used 4 or 8 ounces. Pretty sure it was 4, though. I was trying to push the chocolate to get a mocha taste in the stout. Was almost like having a bowl of oatmeal with Hershey's syrup drizzled on top and a nice cup of coffee on the side. That stuff's got a punch, though. IIRC, it was forward of 11%. Warms ya up inside. Very boozy feel to it.

My next three.
Screenshot_20220804-102654.png

@Steve Ruch i plan to get some Chevalier malt for my next round of British beers. What’s your take on it?

I like the recipe. Please keep us posted! One question though…if you are looking for a Dry Stout, why are you leaning on Cl instead of SO4? I’m not familiar with anything Kveik, so I’m wondering if the yeast has something to do with it??

I’ll be brewing my American Dry Stout tomorrow!

Cheers.
What's that recipie look like for comparison please:).

Dry for me means well attenuated- low in final gravity which = low mash temperature to create that more fermemtable wort.

But dry Stout isn't something I'm well aquinted with brewing I usually lean towards the sweeter more malty chocolate side of the darker styles so I'm here to learn as well.
I naturally err on the more malty side of the water profile too when brewing stouts and porters favouring the chloride or even ballancing them if not...

I like the recipe. Please keep us posted! One question though…if you are looking for a Dry Stout, why are you leaning on Cl instead of SO4? I’m not familiar with anything Kveik, so I’m wondering if the yeast has something to do with it??

I’ll be brewing my American Dry Stout tomorrow!

Cheers.
That's a good point! My goal with the Cl was increased mouthfeel. Not a lot of gravity to this one so I don't want it to feel thin, even with the flaked barley. Gypsum to me enhances bitterness, which is similar to dryness, but as long as the mash is low and FG is low I should get the dryness I'm looking for. I'm also leaving the IBUs around 25 because I'm not sure how much bitterness will come from the roast barley so I want to be cautious. Thanks for your stout feedback @Megary!

Dry for me means well attenuated- low in final gravity which = low mash temperature to create that more fermemtable wort.

But dry Stout isn't something I'm well aquinted with brewing I usually lean towards the sweeter more malty chocolate side of the darker styles so I'm here to learn as well.
I naturally err on the more malty side of the water profile too when brewing stouts and porters favouring the chloride or even ballancing them if not...
Here ya go Ben! I was studying it :)
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/941622/you-want-it-darker

Yes! That’s exactly what I try and do with my Stout. I do add a fair amount of Flaked Barley and even some Pale Wheat Malt for a nice creamy head and body. But because of a long, low mash and decent attenuation from the yeast, the beer still finishes dry. It works well, in my opinion. I usually keep the mineral content balanced and low, just doing what is necessary for pH control. When I make my English Porter, I do go heavy on the Cl.

Not saying what I do is right or wrong, just that it seems to be working for me.

Cheers!

Back