A tale of two recipes - Marzen

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Which grain bill would you prefer? Neither is not an option…

54% Munich II
25% Vienna
21% Pilsner

or

33% Munich II
33% Vienna
31% Pilsner
2% caramunich III

50% Munich II
20% Vienna
20% Pilsner
10% caramunich III

I prefer a drier, more bitter Marzen so probably option #1. What do your hop schedule and yeast options look like?

I prefer a drier, more bitter Marzen so probably option #1. What do your hop schedule and yeast options look like?
Probably going with an ounce of mittelfruh for bittering with herkules to push more ibus and another 1/2 of mitt at 15 minutes. Not sure about yeast. I’m a dry yeast guy so my options are limited.

If those are my choices, #2, I suppose. If you were using regular Munich instead of Munich II, I would probably say 1.

It’s surprising that you all think 2% cm will make it less dry. I’m using it mostly for color and some depth of character here. I normally use a small amount of carafa on occasion for color so that’s on the table too.

I use Munich I and II pretty interchangeably. I don’t notice a large difference but I also don’t use it at larger quantities normally.

Both recipes work out to a color at the bottom of the guidelines though I’m not particularly concerned with that.

thanks for the feedback! Still open to pivoting if it makes sense for my goals.

Last edited:
It’s surprising that you all think 2% cm will make it less dry. I’m using it mostly for color and some depth of character here. I normally use a small amount of carafa on occasion for color so that’s on the table too.

I use Munich I and II pretty interchangeably. I don’t notice a large difference but I also don’t use it at larger quantities normally.

Both recipes work out to a color at the bottom of the guidelines though I’m not particularly concerned with that.

thanks for the feedback! Still open to pivoting if it makes sense for my goals.
I also tend to prefer a simpler grain bill :) if it were me I would cut the pilsner entirely, feel free to keep the caramunich for color. But you only gave us two options...

I've learned that asking the many, many proficient brewers on this forum that I often get answers that I didn't expect. That's part of the fun right! :D

I also tend to prefer a simpler grain bill :) if it were me I would cut the pilsner entirely, feel free to keep the caramunich for color. But you only gave us two options...

I've learned that asking the many, many proficient brewers on this forum that I often get answers that I didn't expect. That's part of the fun right! :D
Yes I should have just asked for recipes. I feel like I normally get more positive feedback so I guess I’m just on the wrong track this time.

Last edited:
1/3 of Munich 2 pils and Vienna.

Ok not an option.
Both look good to me
I'd def step mash the both of them to err on not an overly sweet marzen on your hands.

I'd brew beer number one personally but both look fine.

I tell ya Illif I'd brew beer number 1 I've actually been working on a Munich lager
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1297191/munich-lager

That 30% Munich but I'd be happy to brew one of them for you as a bit of a fun comparrison brew

You choose the beer you want and I'll brew the other
It'll be batch after next.

Your call I'll leave it with you.

I always wanted to drop a bit of rye or victory in a marzen.....but that is just me....

I like option #2. No real reason. Either one will turn out tasty.

For the yeast, reach for Diamond first, followed by S-189, followed by W-34/70. I might also try some comparison pricing, then pick whichever one seems like the best value at the moment. Unless of course you already have only one of these in your fridge, in which case of course just use whatever that is. That's how my mind works.

For the yeast, reach for Diamond first, followed by S-189, followed by W-34/70. I might also try some comparison pricing, then pick whichever one seems like the best value at the moment. Unless of course you already have only one of these in your fridge, in which case of course just use whatever that is. That's how my mind works.
I like that. I just finished off my last lager yeast on a bopils with S23 which was my first time trying that guy. I have a lot of experience with 189 and 34/70 and just tried diamond for the first time recently.

What's the go with Diamond lager?
I think I remember JA liking that yeast too...

Back