Favourite Hops

Dirty Dingo Brewing CO.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure why I feel the need to post this, but maybe I just want to publicly confirm something that I've always shied away from, and that's NZ hops.

So I've been making a pale ale for the shop the last couple months using the same grain bills and changing out the hops, with the intention to make beers with hops that we don't normally sell as much as I think we should.

Recently done Australian Cascade, Idaho 7, Cashmere, and Riwaka. Cashmere was my personal favourite, Australian Cascade the shop favourite, and now this Riwaka is blowing my mind!

If you haven't used Riwaka I HIGHLY recommend it! I'm not one for citrus flavours, they can be a bit overpowering and dry imo. Riwaka is very well balanced, and the background flavours of the hop remind my of styrian wolf, very floral and even violet.

Anyways, how have you guys had success with this hop or lack there of?

No, not yet.
I'm not very clued up on hops (yet).
But I like to add a query to this thread. Anyone been using any South African hops?

I really like Cascade and feel that Chinook is under rated, had some nice results from Chinook. Also the traditional UK hops; Fuggles, Bramling and Goldings.

@Zambezi Special - SA hops have passed me by so far. Should be good hop growing country given that it's a good wine country I would have thought?

Like @Minbari said, it's hard to pick one when brewing so many different styles. Plus I have only tried a small percentage of what's out there. Sometime due to availability and sometimes due to cost. Riwaka sounds like it would go well with the Tropical IPA SMaTH that i just started drinking. Primary hop it is is 1/2 pound of El Dorado. For British beers I love Fuggles & Goldings. For a classic Northwest Pale Ale I my favorite hop is definitely Cascade.

I brew a lot of golden ales, pales, and IPAs and Citra is my absolute favorite hop. But I also enjoy Triumph in a lager, and Columbus for bittering big, dark beers. I'm about to start playing around with Cashmere which I'm excited about

Man, those articles are difficult to read aren't they? So stuffed with keywords and adverts adverts, they're just mangled. I'm no further on in my South African hop education :)
Sorry 'bout that.
They came out OK on my phone, but think I got an ad blocker-installed

Motueka is another NZ hop that's underrated we all know Nelson Sauvin for that white grape type thing honestly though it's been a long while since i used them.

Pacific Gem is another hop I bought on a whim but wasn't overly impressed.

Galaxy, Amarillo, Citra are my most used hops

Simcoe is my favorite about time to make my Simco SMaSH again....

Thanks for the suggestion! We are doing a recipe draft in a few weeks and that is one of the hops available that I'm not familiar with, so that might give me the edge I need :)

As for personal favorites, I'm a C hop fan for American styles (Chinook is underrated of the bunch). I love Challenger for English ales.

Thanks for the suggestion! We are doing a recipe draft in a few weeks and that is one of the hops available that I'm not familiar with, so that might give me the edge I need :)

As for personal favorites, I'm a C hop fan for American styles (Chinook is underrated of the bunch). I love Challenger for English ales.
I don't think I've used Challenger will keep an eye out for it.

Back