To early to keg?

Brewer #380102

Premium Member
Reaction score
I did an extract brew 8 days ago and it was a blue moon clone. The first day the airlock was going crazy and finished at day 2. I haven’t checked the FG but I’m sure it’s done as no airlock activity to be seen. Am I good to chill and keg now or give it another week?

I did an extract brew 8 days ago and it was a blue moon clone. The first day the airlock was going crazy and finished at day 2. I haven’t checked the FG but I’m sure it’s done as no airlock activity to be seen. Am I good to chill and keg now or give it another week?
Air lock activity is not a good indicator for finished fermentation. However, a properly read gravity reading will never lie

Air lock activity is not a good indicator for finished fermentation. However, a properly read gravity reading will never lie

so if I take a FG now and it’s where it needs to be I will be good to keg? Will it help anything to sit idle for another 5 days?

so if I take a FG now and it’s where it needs to be I will be good to keg? Will it help anything to sit idle for another 5 days?
The general rule of thumb is a consistent reading 2 days apart. So if you check today and check again on Tuesday and they're the same, you're good to go!

Warming it up for a diacetyl rest is beneficial.
Just because it is at FG doesn't necessarily mean it is ready to get cold.
If you're in a hurry, you can do a forced D test.

as long as you arent bottling it, if the fermentation isnt quite done. the keg will hold the pressure. best to always be sure its done though.

Taste it. I find that is the best indicator. Even when the OG and BRIX are stable, the yeast are still doing their thing, and a good thing at that. Like Bubba, I find around 2 weeks or a bit more is needed to get the favor right.

I did get everything in the keg and quick carbed it. Tasted good yesterday but even better today. I think the flavors are still coming together. It’s a little hazy but hoping it will clear up a little.
Yup I find a week or two in usual the beer is drinking really good.

I did get everything in the keg and quick carbed it. Tasted good yesterday but even better today. I think the flavors are still coming together. It’s a little hazy but hoping it will clear up a little.
Might be a couple weeks to clear a bit, but don't expect miracles. But flavors will be peaking at a couple days. Carbonation has a big influence in my brews, you may find the same.

Back