I can't get my brews to taste of hops

I went that direction about a year ago, after 6-7 years of bottling. Definite upsides to it, once you get the whole thing sorted.
Is it expensive to get setup?
Also, does the beer keep without refrigeration? (suppose that depends on where you live)

Is it expensive to get setup?
Also, does the beer keep without refrigeration? (suppose that depends on where you live)
depends on how may taps you want and how fancy you want to go.

get a chest freezer at walmart and STC1000 controller with piknik taps you can prolly get the whole thing setup for $500.

if you want to go more fancy, skys the limit.
To give you an idea, this is what I biult. was about $2k https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/minbaris-kegerator-build.14878/

as far as storing it at room temp. sure you can. prolly wont last as long as commercial beer, but 6 months wouldnt be out the window, I wouldnt think.

depends on how may taps you want and how fancy you want to go.

get a chest freezer at walmart and STC1000 controller with piknik taps you can prolly get the whole thing setup for $500.

if you want to go more fancy, skys the limit.
To give you an idea, this is what I biult. was about $2k https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/minbaris-kegerator-build.14878/

as far as storing it at room temp. sure you can. prolly wont last as long as commercial beer, but 6 months wouldnt be out the window, I wouldnt think.
Looks like a fun project.

I have some kitchen worktop cutoffs that I would love to put to use, so something like this would be perfect.

Looks like a fun project.

I have some kitchen worktop cutoffs that I would love to put to use, so something like this would be perfect.
You can do it in stages too. Get the fridge, controller and kegs, you can start storing and even fermenting in the kegs(free carbonation)
After that get your co2 tank, regs and faucets.

ANYTHING to help brewers upgrade to better brewing equipment :D.

We're good at spending your money here have a look at this new shiney stainless conical...
At risk of making a ghastly innuendo, I'm into anything that involves shiny metal, from mountain bikes to brewing equipment, so a conical fermentor is very appealing.

In the last few days I've completely embraced the idea of going full keg. Anything to reduce oxygen contact, and it'll re-ignite my passion for beer and brewing. It'll get me obsessing over recipes again, instead of throwing expensive hops in and always getting the same result.

So yeah, a conical fermentor or Fermzilla, and I'll buy an affordable kegerator. The wife will probably loose her sh@t, but life is too short.

I think it's time to seriously consider kegging.
You will never look back, and you will not miss the bottling process one bit.
The quick easy can be a decent used fridge, it can double as a good place to store those expensive hops! Just be careful putting any holes in it!

Meant to post my set up.
You can always continue with what you are doing currently, but brew beers that are less susceptible to O2. Maybe try brewing and bottling some British ales, porters, or stouts while you gather the bits you will need.
Look for people selling kegs, regulators, etc., start by using picnic taps add shanks/taps to the fridge later. Kegging is one of, if not the best upgrades I ever made.
20220730_073414.jpg
20220730_073422.jpg
20220730_073436.jpg

I still bottle :oops:
But no problems with oxygen as I can drink real fast and I make small batches :D:D:D
Nothing wrong with bottling at all, I still bottle beers that benefit from aging, like a 7% chocolate cranberry stout, or a 7% Christmas ale for instance. The last time I bottled beers like these, I bottled from the keg, took advantage of the low O2 transfer, and used CO2 to push the beer as well.

Nothing wrong with bottling at all, I still bottle beers that benefit from aging, like a 7% chocolate cranberry stout, or a 7% Christmas ale for instance. The last time I bottled beers like these, I bottled from the keg, took advantage of the low O2 transfer, and used CO2 to push the beer as well.[/QUOTE]

yup, I use a counter pressure bottling wand. purges first then, then fills.

At risk of making a ghastly innuendo, I'm into anything that involves shiny metal, from mountain bikes to brewing equipment, so a conical fermentor is very appealing.

In the last few days I've completely embraced the idea of going full keg. Anything to reduce oxygen contact, and it'll re-ignite my passion for beer and brewing. It'll get me obsessing over recipes again, instead of throwing expensive hops in and always getting the same result.

So yeah, a conical fermentor or Fermzilla, and I'll buy an affordable kegerator. The wife will probably loose her sh@t, but life is too short.
Conical are great on a commercial scale. On a home brew scale, not so much. They are clumsy to move around, some can’t be pressurized beyond a few pounds, and expensive. The conical shape has no real advantage on a small scale.

I’m an advocate of fermenting in kegs. They’re cheaper, can be pressurized, you ferment and serve from one vessel if you choose, floating pickups work really nice to leave behind sediment, you can spund (corrnys can be pressurized to 125 psi) and they’re still shiny. Plus they fit really nice into keezers.

I have a conical. I rarely use it.

Conical are great on a commercial scale. On a home brew scale, not so much. They are clumsy to move around, some can’t be pressurized beyond a few pounds, and expensive. The conical shape has no real advantage on a small scale.

I’m an advocate of fermenting in kegs. They’re cheaper, can be pressurized, you ferment and serve from one vessel if you choose, floating pickups work really nice to leave behind sediment, you can spund (corrnys can be pressurized to 125 psi) and they’re still shiny. Plus they fit really nice into keezers.

I have a conical. I rarely use it.
Fermenting in kegs has been a game changer for me. Pressure fermentation and closed transfers have really helped my hoppy beers

I purchased this stainless steel bottle filler to get a positive shut off.
I didn't trust the plastic one that came with my original homebrew kit under pressure from the keg, $20 Canadian, worked great!
upload_2022-7-30_10-57-26.png

I purchased this stainless steel bottle filler to get a positive shut off.
I didn't trust the plastic one that came with my original homebrew kit under pressure from the keg, $20 Canadian, worked great!
View attachment 21653

bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088WKTGP3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

easiest filler to use. stick it on the bottle, press the co2 button, pull your tap handle, fill. the tube fits in the faucet with no adapter.

Used ball-lock kegs are $39, a 5-lb CO2 tank, filled, is about $80, regulator for same about $40 (can vary: Try for a 2-gauge type, with a knob to adjust instead of a screw), some picnic taps and some gas hose and connectors (Under $30 for all)...and that's about it. A used fridge is a perfect start, or a smaller (7 cu-ft) chest freezer (ideally used, new are under $250) with an Inkbird controller ($30) and you are good to go for quite a while.

Used ball-lock kegs are $39, a 5-lb CO2 tank, filled, is about $80, regulator for same about $40 (can vary: Try for a 2-gauge type, with a knob to adjust instead of a screw), some picnic taps and some gas hose and connectors (Under $30 for all)...and that's about it. A used fridge is a perfect start, or a smaller (7 cu-ft) chest freezer (ideally used, new are under $250) with an Inkbird controller ($30) and you are good to go for quite a while.
I wish I could get stuff for those prices :oops:

Back