What's your next brew

EKG are floral and sometimes fruity to me. Fuggles are more of the earthiness. I don’t think they are interchangeable. I prefer EKG but had some left and hobgoblin uses fuggles from what I’ve seen in clone recipes

Josh, what's your take on Fuggles vs. EKG? Are they different? Are they interchangeable? Do you prefer one over another?

My 2¢ is that they are similar with Fuggles being a little more earthy and EKG being a little more floral. The hop substitution charts don't say they are interchangeable, but I think they might be. After I figure out the water for my ESB, I plan on playing with just Fuggles and just EKG as aroma hops to figure that out. Currently I do Fuggles at 10 minutes and EKG at flameout.

My 2¢ is that they are similar with Fuggles being a little more earthy and EKG being a little more floral. The hop substitution charts don't say they are interchangeable, but I think they might be. After I figure out the water for my ESB, I plan on playing with just Fuggles and just EKG as aroma hops to figure that out. Currently I do Fuggles at 10 minutes and EKG at flameout.
I did not like fuggles at flameout. I did what you do Larry. For a few brews last winter I did everything the same except switching EKG and Fuggles at flame/bitter.

@RoadRoach https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1240680 English Ale. Will have chocolate malt to give it a dark ruby color. Think Hobgoblin

I teach history not English thankfully.
Oops. I knew that (you teach history). Momentary lapse of reason, pardon me. Okay, it’ll be really old words and probably won’t contain terms like’woke’ and ‘dope’ etc etc.

Weird, but I didn’t get that one using English Ale as a filter. I’ve done a hobgoblin before, so guess I do know what you mean.

@RoadRoach https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1240680 English Ale. Will have chocolate malt to give it a dark ruby color. Think Hobgoblin

I teach history not English thankfully.
Copied your recipe and may give it a spin. Like I said, I’ve done a hobgoblin before. I don’t mind a slightly more bitter taste if it’s a big beer/stout. 35 isn’t bad. Seems I used Fuggles in that batch. I like the fruitier hops in pales, for sure. Use a lotta Warrior in my darker brews because I want the coffee/chocolate to come through the hops.

Making this one next. It's my tried and true chocolate milk stout. Only thing I am changing is the yeast. Gonna try a dark Belgian strain.

https://share.brewfather.app/qXCqLHF3woiWVB
Wow fair bit going on in there but man I'd like a sample of that once its done.
Will be interesting where this Belgian yeast takes it as I rekon it'd be tasting pretty fine with the English yeast right now.
Lactose is something I've not used in along while.
Man if your names brewed from the tin this looks a ripper ;);).

Wow fair bit going on in there but man I'd like a sample of that once its done.
Will be interesting where this Belgian yeast takes it as I rekon it'd be tasting pretty fine with the English yeast right now.
Lactose is something I've not used in along while.
Man if your names brewed from the tin this looks a ripper ;);).

I ussualy use wyeast 1098 dry english ale yeast. It is one of my favorites. nice thick mouthfeel, sweet upfront, slightly bitter finish. notes of coffee and chocolate. took me more than a year to develop it.

not sure what the belgian yeast will do. the guy at the brew shop was intrigued. I think the fruity esters will compliment the dark character it already has........or it will just be bad, lol.

I ussualy use wyeast 1098 dry english ale yeast. It is one of my favorites. nice thick mouthfeel, sweet upfront, slightly bitter finish. notes of coffee and chocolate. took me more than a year to develop it.

not sure what the belgian yeast will do. the guy at the brew shop was intrigued. I think the fruity esters will compliment the dark character it already has........or it will just be bad, lol.
Sounds right to me exciting stuff.

Looks great! Are the nibs roasted and crushed, and do you soak in Vodka for sanitizing?
Yup, they are. Never have done the soak thing. Maybe just been lucky, but haven't had an issue with it

It'll be 4 priests Murgy Staight for me weather it's a No Chill vs CHilled batch will have to wait n see.

I'm not sure I want to tie up my ferm chamber right now for a month. maybe I'll try it in a few weeks.

Back