How's this Porter Recipe Look?

looks good. that roasted barley must be nearly black

I think the recipe looks great. Though don’t be surprised if you get closer to 60%aa from Windsor. It’s a great yeast and makes great tasting beers but is a notoriously poor attenuator.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how it turns out!

I think the recipe looks great. Though don’t be surprised if you get closer to 60%aa from Windsor. It’s a great yeast and makes great tasting beers but is a notoriously poor attenuator.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how it turns out!
Yeah, I'd usually just use s05, but I need to use the Windsor before it gets too old. Hopefully it won't be too sweet.

Yeah, I'd usually just use s05, but I need to use the Windsor before it gets too old. Hopefully it won't be too sweet.
do you have the ability to make a starter? more yeast is usually better than less ;)

It is as long as the yeast isn’t too old. No reason to make a starter with fry yeast unless it’s a lager or high gravity.

Definitely use the Windsor. IMO, it’s the better yeast for a Porter. One pack in 3 gallons is my MO. You’ll be fine.

Last edited:
I received a suggestion of using Crystal 120 when I made my first Porter. I liked the way it came out, but I also used some Munich in mine. I know you are stuck on your yeast, but I really liked the way WLP004 turned out.

Interesting hop choice...I'm a Fuggles or EKG guy for porters and I do a bittering dose at 60 and an aroma dose at 15. If you're looking to a dry porter, I'd use a different yeast...maybe US04 and if you want something fruity...plumb and toss out any tradition...use Imperial A44 Kveik blend.

Screenshot_20220726-101813.png
My attempt to recreate a porter from 200 years ago for a Zymurgy online extra. I used maris otter the first go round.

Still tinkering. Decided to bump up the Caramel from 40L to 60L. Also thought I'd try an oz of Willamette at 5 Min. Maybe adding some dark munich.

I was tempted to switch out the roasted barley for black malt, but think I'll stick with roasted barley this time. Thanks for the input!

Original post recipe (3 Gal Batch):
6 lb 2-row
.5 Caramel 40L
.25 Chocolate Malt
.25 Roasted Barley
8g Columbus at 60 mins.

Revised to:
4 lb 2 row
2 lb Munich Dark
.5 Chocolate Malt
.25 Caramel 60L
.25 Roasted Barley
8g Columbus Hops at 60 min.
1 oz Willamette 5 min.

Last edited:
Willamette should give a nice earthy tone to it. I agree with @Ward Chillington , always used fuggles or EKG for porters and stouts. Doesn't mean it won't work

I think the larger amounts of darker malts will help it. You should not be able to see through it. ;)

Back