Show your DIY Projects

What did you use for the handles? I'm diggin' on the one in the upper right corner. I'd feel like a berserker holding that thing.

I used shovel handles cut to 12" lengths and then sanded down to fit. You can buy them for $9 or so and get 3 handles out of one. Buying hammer handles is around $35 each so it's a hell of a better deal. The one on the top right is a wrapped eye hatchet with a piece of 1084 steel as the bit on the end the rest is mild steel. It was the hardest one to make but is also the coolest one.

SO ... The fan going in my upright Freezer (Lagering chamber) led me to a new side project! I decided the upright didn't suit my needs anymore as I have been brewing 10 gallon batches... I started doing my research as to what to buy next - and surprise! Nothing seemed to fit my needs for 2 fermenters side by side without having to lift up and place down (chest freezer).

So - I did what any of us would do! Got creative! I set out to gut the components of my old upright and build a new unit around that! Here's where I'm at! (The back of the freezer coil - is now behind the upright piece of plywood on the right in the New Start images.) I'll share more pics as it evolves!
Freezer Guts 1.jpeg
Freezer Guts.jpeg
Wiring.jpeg
New Start Freezer.jpeg
New Start Freezer 1.jpeg

Super creative! I'm excited to see the final product

SO ... The fan going in my upright Freezer (Lagering chamber) led me to a new side project! I decided the upright didn't suit my needs anymore as I have been brewing 10 gallon batches... I started doing my research as to what to buy next - and surprise! Nothing seemed to fit my needs for 2 fermenters side by side without having to lift up and place down (chest freezer).

So - I did what any of us would do! Got creative! I set out to gut the components of my old upright and build a new unit around that! Here's where I'm at! (The back of the freezer coil - is now behind the upright piece of plywood on the right in the New Start images.) I'll share more pics as it evolves! View attachment 20949 View attachment 20950 View attachment 20951 View attachment 20952 View attachment 20953
F Yeah Man that is Awesome!
I love where your going with this.
We won't be beaten yeah! (AC/DC)
Man that would of been meticulous work prying them cooling lines free of the freezer housing ect.
So hour building your own ferm chamber to meet the dimensions of this cooling line dimensions?

So that bit at that back and bottom is all cooling lines right?
And what's this other sepperate coil section out towards you front of first pic
More cooling lines?

So your gunna control it all with an Inkbird or STC 1000 any internal circulation fans and or lighting?
Cheers

F Yeah Man that is Awesome!
I love where your going with this.
We won't be beaten yeah! (AC/DC)
Man that would of been meticulous work prying them cooling lines free of the freezer housing ect.
So hour building your own ferm chamber to meet the dimensions of this cooling line dimensions?

So that bit at that back and bottom is all cooling lines right?
And what's this other sepperate coil section out towards you front of first pic
More cooling lines?

So your gunna control it all with an Inkbird or STC 1000 any internal circulation fans and or lighting?
Cheers
The black coils are all the "hot" side condenser coils that were at the back and underneath the freezer. The silver coil is the evaporator coil that provides the cool air inside the freezer. There is a fan that mounts above it that circulates the air coming off the evaporator. - It was quite the project getting it all out in one piece (especially alone) but I was fortunate that nothing was too buried within the freezer. The wiring is a bit odd on this unit but I think I got it all figured out. Going to do some continuity tests in the morning and turn this sucker back on to see what she puts out!

I do have an inkbird I'll be using to control temps. I also have a couple Williams Brewing Heat pads I can put inside to raise temps as needed but I may not bother... We'll see.

New Freezer w: sides on. .jpeg

I'm actually a lot further than this - wiring is done - all but the top is finished. I'll post some new pics in the morning!

I just love that project!
I never even thought of something like it. But I still have some old fridges and freezers, so you are giving me ideas!

She's up and running! From 67 to 50 in 6 minutes! It took over an hour for it to kick back on to cool back to 50. This is just with a piece of foamboard over the top. The glue is still drying on my official top.

Freezer running and cooling - temp top.jpeg
Freezer completely framed and wired.jpeg

Okay - Last set of pics. She's officially done! Not sure how low I can go without it running every 5 minutes! Probably should have shrunk the size just a bit more... But I do have more foamboard - I could put a better ceiling on it. For now - I'll keep an eye and start taking logs. :)
Freezer full build!.jpeg
Freezer done and cooling beer!.jpeg
Thanks Brewer's Friend! .jpeg

The cycling being slow has much to do with where you measure the temperature. If the wort temperature is what you're controlling, measure the wort temperature. That will reduce the time it takes to get down to temperature.

Okay - Last set of pics. She's officially done! Not sure how low I can go without it running every 5 minutes! Probably should have shrunk the size just a bit more... But I do have more foamboard - I could put a better ceiling on it. For now - I'll keep an eye and start taking logs. :)
View attachment 20987 View attachment 20988 View attachment 20989

I made one similar years ago and I used 2" foam board, I also ran into an issue where I added fans and the fans actually created heat, I had to find the right fan and that helped but I can't tell you the brand.

but it was important in reducing the chilling time

That's a cool setup Muse. I made one a few years ago with a window AC unit but it tended to freeze up so I ended up giving it away. I found a little mini fridge that fits 1 fermenter so that's what I do these days when I care enough to control temps.

That's a cool setup Muse. I made one a few years ago with a window AC unit but it tended to freeze up so I ended up giving it away. I found a little mini fridge that fits 1 fermenter so that's what I do these days when I care enough to control temps.
I had thought of doing this honestly - but I would have needed 2 mini fridges and when I got into the planning phase with that idea I realized I'd have to build collars or buy bigger units and started getting frustrated. I went "back to the drawing board" and realized this would be a better fit for what I was looking for at a similar cost (and the project was cool!). I think I could actually fit three fermenters in it! - However, I probably just should have shrunk it down some. Its running more like it used to since I did as @Donoroto advised and put the probe on one fermenter. Thanks BTW! - Don't ask why I didn't do that in the first place as that's what I did in the old upright freezer!

It actually cycles much less frequently now - every 30 minutes or so! This has me thinking I want to try and drop the temp below 40! I'll do it slowly and see how it turns out.

Back