Does an ESB benefit from Burton-ish water?

BarbarianBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My next brew is an ESB based on David Heath's video. I've brewed it a few times and really like it. But I keep thinking about how he recommends using the Burton-on-Trent water profile. I certainly don't want to go that far (40g Gypsum, 12g Baking (bicarb) Soda, etc.) but I'm wondering whether my ESB would be even better if I shifted my water profile in that direction? Maybe get 1/4, 1/3 or even 1/2 way there? Has anyone done this and what were your results? Did it make your ESB or Bitter taste better, worse, or not much different?

My water comes from Lake Michigan and is pretty good.
upload_2022-7-22_13-56-5.png

David Heath's ESB video:

I've never come close to it, but I would be willing to go to about half that Burton profile. And really, I'm just talking about pushing the Sulfate into the 300's. I know the numbers look way out of whack compared to what we have been conditioned to use, but I think there could be something gained by pushing the numbers a bit. In my beers, I've been slowly increasing Cl and SO4 numbers into the mid and upper 100's and I've yet to note anything minerally or "off". I say give it a go.

But I bet most are not using that water. I think the secret is in the damn yeast the keep repitching that we don’t have :mad: Fullers in in London and they do not have Burton water

You're probably right on both points.

Burton water is the original, and some beers available today do use the profile, crazy as it might seem. It's an acquired taste. A good compromise indeed is to take it about halfway. It definitely does matter.

Our water at home absolutely sucks, so I have gotten used to using Publix Spring Water in just about everything. Have any of y'all tried using something similar to spring water for an ESB recipe?

No. Too soft. BUT how would I know. Never tried it. Just doesn’t match what you see for water used for a Bitter

I haven't been able to find a profile, but it does have a mineral content, maybe just not as high as a Burton. I'll let y'all know in about 5 or 6 weeks. For something simple, it makes decent beer. It just adds about $8 to the homebrew.
For simplicity and making something decent, you can't get any better than BIIB and Florida bottled spring water.

My profile on my Mild I'm drinking atm has 4g of Bicarbonate Soda In it..https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=ZZQ3LNX
I used it to push the PH up according to the mash Calc on BF here.
I can taste it in this beer maybe my best description is rounding out the malt flavours making seem smooth on the pallete.

My current beefed up mild has 10g of Bicarbonates soda in it will be interesting to see where this takes me.

I know @Yooper said not to worry about bicarbonates?

But to get to Burton on Trent you've gotta find some hardness somewhere right.
Just thought I'd add my 2c.
Enjoying the discussion ladies and gents.

Screenshot_20220723-171936_Brewfather.jpg
This is the water profile I used for the same recipe. This turned out to be an absolutely amazing version of an ESB, and it is actually one of the best beers I have ever brewed. YMMV

Back