Attenuation discrepancy btw online and app versions

Reaction score
I have come across this twice now, I get a different final gravity estimate when I sync a recipe with the app (iPhone version), than my recipe shows in the online version.

For example, a recent recipe using Safale US-05 gave me a final gravity estimate of 1.4P online and then the sync'd version on my phone gave me 2.1P.

I think this might be because the attenuation rate for US-05 is different online than in the app. The online version gives an avg. attenuation rate of 81% (this is inline with the data sheet from Fermentis: http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf), but the app gives an avg. attenuation rate of 75%.

Shouldn't both attenuation rates be the same?
Is one more realistic than the other?

Thanks for any clarity on this!

ps - I also just noticed that the app did not sync the beer style (Berliner Weisse incase you were wondering why the final gravity estimate was so low). Maybe these are just bugs that are already planned to be fixed?

Hey - thanks for the feedback! Yes, we're aware of both the gravity and style discrepancies between the web and mobile versions, and it's definitely high on our list of updates to make. Thanks!

Brewer #56175 said:
Thanks for the reply.
And thanks for developing great brewing software!

Thank you for supporting it! Seriously - we couldn't do it without you guys.

No, you wouldn't do it without us guys! :lol:

Which was correct? The app calculation or web calculation (specifically for gravity)?

Many thanks,

Martin

Brauhaus Ten.Fifty. said:
Which was correct? The app calculation or web calculation (specifically for gravity)?

Many thanks,

Martin

Hey Martin - at this point the web calculation for gravity is slightly more accurate.

- Matt

Hi Matt,

Appreciate the reply and info - many thanks! And as others say: great site / app.

All the best,

Martin

Brauhaus Ten.Fifty. said:
Hi Matt,

Appreciate the reply and info - many thanks! And as others say: great site / app.

All the best,

Martin

Thanks Martin (and everyone else, of course)!

I posted an observation long ago that has not yet been addressed, and it is related to this thread so I thought I would remind the dev team of the issue:
When a custom attenuation is entered, the FG is adjusted for the mash temperature -- it does not use the attenuation straight off. I would like to see the simple calculation for FG made using the number I type in. If people want to see what the algorithm comes up with they should have that as a separate option. It drives me crazy to type in 80% attenuation and see something else.

Thanks!

Back