Reuse Whirlpool hops

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried dry hopping with the whirlpool hops? It just dawned on me. Are all of the properties gone after whirlpooling? I guess there could be some infection issues possibly but I would like to hear about any experiences, opinions or just plain facts.

No experiences or facts, just the opinion that you dry hop to get a burst of hop flavor and/or aroma. I can't imagine used hops would have enough power left in them to do much of anything. However, having said that I don't see much risk. Just fridge or freeze them right after removing them from the whirlpool and they should be safe to reuse.

Even in the unlikely event that there was still some useful hoppiness left in the whirlpool hops, I would be put off by the real possibility of infection from the wort that soaked into the hops. No thanks.

Has anyone tried dry hopping with the whirlpool hops? It just dawned on me. Are all of the properties gone after whirlpooling? I guess there could be some infection issues possibly but I would like to hear about any experiences, opinions or just plain facts.
I usually throw those in the hop spider right away after whirlpool. Add the dry hops after primary.
They certainly haven't given all they can in 3 minutes

Even in the unlikely event that there was still some useful hoppiness left in the whirlpool hops, I would be put off by the real possibility of infection from the wort that soaked into the hops. No thanks.

That would be my take too. Can't see the juice being worth the potential squeeze.

I think you'd be denying your beer the flavor and aroma that you're looking for with a dry hop. The oils and compounds from the hops are quite volatile and quickly boil away at high heat. There won't be much left to contribute in a dry hop addition after that. It's the isomerization of the alpha acids within the oils that takes time, but the chemical compounds that provide aroma and flavor are fragile

I guess I should have written using these hops in addition to fresh hop in the dry hop step.

You lose a little i guess but there is still some goodness to be had. Guess, not fact.

I guess I should have written using these hops in addition to fresh hop in the dry hop step.
I think the same answer applies. I don't think you would be getting any benefit for your effort. But, the risk is low, so I would say try it once and check the results. It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong....today.

How long before you reuse the whirlpool hops and how do you plan on storing them?

I rekon sometimes we acidentily do this on a WP when transferring to fermentor depending on how clean or truby that transfer is might be doing the same thing.

I know brulosophy had a beer once where it was dry hopped at yeast pitch and he said it was great.

Reuse them in the compost! I'm with Steve...the risk is not worth the squeeze!

Worth a shot. I suspect whirlpool hops still have bitterness to release if we boil them.

I bet you'll make beer.
If you do it, let us know what you think.
I think the only possible value would be as a bittering addition as the other good stuff will likely be gone.
Good luck

Back