Grain Storage Ideas

Limey

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for bulk grain storage. I buy my base malt in 50lb or 55lb sacks and store the grain in 10gal buckets - but 50lb will not fit in one bucket! I am open to suggestions - should be rodent proof, airtight, and preferably come in several sizes so I can store 5lb or 10lb of other less used grains. Stackable would be perfect! Pictures would be brilliant! Links to places to buy would simply be icing on the cake!

Seach for "Gamma2 Vittles Vault" that's what I use. They are available from several different sellers and come in a number of sizes. The 60 lb one holds a sack of grain and they stack. Nothing made of plastic is completely rodent proof.

Looking for suggestions for bulk grain storage. I buy my base malt in 50lb or 55lb sacks and store the grain in 10gal buckets - but 50lb will not fit in one bucket!

Use 2 buckets o_O

just be careful with the rubber gasket, I have several that busted, they seal just fine without

We use black dustbins, they're 80lt (I think!) and the lids clip shut really tight. I'm very careful with grain now, had mice last winter and really - really - don't want to repeat the experience.

If that 49449 is a zip code for Michigan, I'm sure there's a food manufacturing place nearby where some employee is selling food grade barrels with lids...check out Craig's list...that's where I got mine that I use for rain barrels...$10-15 is typically a good price...Amazon has them for $150 which is probably mostly shipping! Craig's list will save you enough to buy a nice heavy foot truck!

One of my LHBS will sell grain storage barrels maybe an option for OP.

I use Rubbermaid totes like those used when you move. I bought a bunch a while back and they hold 2 sacks of grain with a latching lid. They're not airtight but they work really nicely.

If that 49449 is a zip code for Michigan, I'm sure there's a food manufacturing place nearby where some employee is selling food grade barrels with lids...check out Craig's list...that's where I got mine that I use for rain barrels...$10-15 is typically a good price...Amazon has them for $150 which is probably mostly shipping! Craig's list will save you enough to buy a nice heavy foot truck!

Thanks Ward - that was a good idea! I found a place in K'zoo selling various sizes of sealable, food grade, barrels for $20 each with a discount on 5 or more. Going to pick up 5 tomorrow!

Back