Post boil gravity too high. What should I do?

Davark

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Today I brewed my first batch of beer but I ran into a problem after I boiled my mash... According to the recipe I followed, I was supposed to get a gravity reading of 1.058 after the boil. I have a reading of 1.100... What should I do? Is there a way to save my beer? Should I add water before adding the yeast?

Also... If you know what might have caused this feel free to tell me :)

Thank you!

yes add more water.

use this to determine how much

https://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-and-boiloff-gravity-calculator/

if you cant add enough water for it to fit in the fermentor, then a higher SG isnt the end of the world. it will finish a little higher FG than the recipe says, which means it will have a little more residual sugar. it will still be beer. no reason to throw it out or worry.

Hello,

Today I brewed my first batch of beer but I ran into a problem after I boiled my mash... According to the recipe I followed, I was supposed to get a gravity reading of 1.058 after the boil. I have a reading of 1.100... What should I do? Is there a way to save my beer? Should I add water before adding the yeast?

Also... If you know what might have caused this feel free to tell me :)

Thank you!
How did you take the gravity reading? 1.100 is awfully high

I was doing a 1 gallon batch. Pre-boil I had 1.5 gallons et I ended up with 0.44 gallon post-boil.

I boiled it for 1 hour like the recipe said.

Boiled it on a propane burner, maybe I set it too hot?

Yeah, I agree. I’m going with a water top off is required to hit the appropriate final volume. It’s nearly impossible to overshoot gravity like that.

I was doing a 1 gallon batch. Pre-boil I had 1.5 gallons et I ended up with 0.44 gallon post-boil.

I boiled it for 1 hour like the recipe said.

Boiled it on a propane burner, maybe I set it too hot?
1 gallon an hour is pretty typical. It does explain the high gravity though, you have less than half volume what your batch should be.

so the top up water should solve the issue.

Yep, top up with water.
I think 1 gallon/hour evaporation is quite high. Mine's about half that

1 gallon, 1 hour is very typical for me, but I use a 16-gallon kettle.

Mine's a lot smaller at about 9 litres.
A bit closer to the size the OP is using :confused:

A propane burner may be overkill for a 1 gallon batch, but if you can turn it down enough it will be fine. If you can measure the liquid level in your kettle as you boil, you can add water during the boil to maintain your final batch size, as well as ensure that the water has been sanitized.

Back