Toberfest ale

cant imagine why not. the first three make up most of it and have plenty of diastatic power.

The "More" button on the recipe editor will show you DP and other useful stats. The only drawback is you have to copy the recipe before you can edit it.

upload_2022-7-16_15-51-43.png

Yeah that’s a good deal of crystal and honey. I made one with pils>Vienna> Munich. Tried one at a brew club that was Munich,>pils,>Vienna a liked it a bit better. No honey and 1 lb of crystal

Way too much crystal malt IMO. I wouldn’t use a quarter of that amount.

Way too much crystal malt IMO. I wouldn’t use a quarter of that amount.
This is a 10.5 gal batch, is it still too much? This is a high rated recipe, I enjoy stronger malt flavors and this sounded delish to me. I did subistute a few grains for what I have in stock but these substitutions were close to what the recipe called for

This is a 10.5 gal batch, is it still too much? This is a high rated recipe, I enjoy stronger malt flavors and this sounded delish to me. I did subistute a few grains for what I have in stock but these substitutions were close to what the recipe called for
Not sure I'd ever brew anything with 24% caramel malt, but to each his own.
Also, why the 90 minute boil?
Listed as a lager, with ale yeast?
Definitely some suspect things with this?
Good luck

Good luck
X2. I would cut the sweet back. It's not going to be bad, necessarily, but it will be pretty dang sweet and I would use a Marzen yeast.

It might still be good, it will be beer. It won't really be a Marzen

*Deleted. Didnt see that it was 10.5g batch
Having another look now its closer. With sweet crystal still heavy, the honey malt might be lost and out of place for Marzen but up to you. otherwise maybe worth a go.

Last edited:
Good luck
I might have mis copied the recipe? That does sound like way too much caramel, look again I shall! The recipe specified a 90 min boil, nada clue why? I haven't the cooling capacity to do a lager so I have made Marlene with ale yeast in the past and they have been very good! The dog in my profile pic is my puppy Toby, hence, Toberfest! Thanks for the advice!!

I was only looking at the percentages not the batch size. If I looks good to you brew it up!

If you want to play around with something close to that, and I wish I could find it right this second, but I can't, John Palmer has a recipe in his How To Brew book. It is for a Pumpkin Beer, but it sounds like something close to what you want without the pumpkin and without the spice. It is basically 1/3 Pale, 1/3 Munich, and 1/3 Vienna with a little bit of Caramunich from what I remember. I believe he used S-04 for a yeast.

If you want to play around with something close to that, and I wish I could find it right this second, but I can't, John Palmer has a recipe in his How To Brew book. It is for a Pumpkin Beer, but it sounds like something close to what you want without the pumpkin and without the spice. It is basically 1/3 Pale, 1/3 Munich, and 1/3 Vienna with a little bit of Caramunich from what I remember. I believe he used S-04 for a yeast.
If you can find it, please pass it on! Thankd!

If you can find it, please pass it on! Thankd!
I loaned out my book, and it was never returned. I tried looking for my modifications on it, but they are gone too.
I do remember the third, third, third part. I wasn't as fond of Caramunich, so I am pretty sure I used Crystal 40, and probably 1/2 lb for 5 gallons. I would have added 1/2 lb of wheat to mine (5 gallons) too as I use it for head retention. I know I used S-04, and I am not a big fan of Hallertau, so I probably used either Saaz or Cascade, but probably very little since I was making a spice beer.
A true Oktoberfest/Marzen is going to be a lager, so I think you are trying to do something different, but fallish.
If you actually want to make a pumpkin beer, take the above, get 5 pounds of fresh pumpkin, bake them for an hour or 90 minutes at 325 or 350, add a little brown sugar when you scoop the skin off, take your pulp, put it in the blender with some spring water, get it into liquid form, and add it to your strike water. Use spices very sparingly, ESPECIALLY allspice, and replace some of your hops with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, again VERY sparingly.

Attachments

• IMG_3656[1].JPG
    IMG_3656[1].JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 41
I loaned out my book, and it was never returned. I tried looking for my modifications on it, but they are gone too.
I do remember the third, third, third part. I wasn't as fond of Caramunich, so I am pretty sure I used Crystal 40, and probably 1/2 lb for 5 gallons. I would have added 1/2 lb of wheat to mine (5 gallons) too as I use it for head retention. I know I used S-04, and I am not a big fan of Hallertau, so I probably used either Saaz or Cascade, but probably very little since I was making a spice beer.
A true Oktoberfest/Marzen is going to be a lager, so I think you are trying to do something different, but fallish.
If you actually want to make a pumpkin beer, take the above, get 5 pounds of fresh pumpkin, bake them for an hour or 90 minutes at 325 or 350, add a little brown sugar when you scoop the skin off, take your pulp, put it in the blender with some spring water, get it into liquid form, and add it to your strike water. Use spices very sparingly, ESPECIALLY allspice, and replace some of your hops with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, again VERY sparingly.

Thanks! Yes, I don't have the cooling ability to do a lager, but have made a couple October fests with Safale 05 that has turned out amazing! Wish I could find the recipes to make it again! Still searching I am!! Also, lots of grain in storage so trying to make it out of what I have, long ways to a home brew supply.

Back