Czech Pilsner

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/746904/czech-pils

what do you think of this take on a check pils? I think the Kazbek will give it an uncharacteristic slight fruity character but I’m okay with it as I’m not constricted to doing things by the book. My attempt last year was a miss so I’m giving it another shot from scratch.

i normally do German style which is a little easier for me to hit for what I like.

Just me, but would make it all pilsner malt.
Since I will be doing a single infusion mash i thought the pale would help me develop a tad more malt character that my German pils is lacking. I use Pilsner malt for everything and I just feel like it won’t cut it alone for this beer. I am opening to cutting the % of pale malt down though.

I would agree that a Pilsner should be using Pilsner malt as the base, with very little if any regular pale malt. I can understand if you want the malt flavor more complex, but… this is still a Czech-style Pilsner beer, no?

I have not used Kazbek so I cannot comment too much on it. Could be an interesting, if non-traditional, choice.

I do wonder why you have your low-alpha Saaz for the bittering. And a 30-minute addition seems like you cannot decide whether you want it for bittering or flavor. Pick one or the other, and either move it to 60 minutes, or to the end at like 5 or 2 minutes.

Hop schedule in general seems overly complex. Could be as simple as two hop additions, one at 60 and one at 5 or 2, something like that.

Should turn out good, whatever you decide to do. It's your beer, so do what you want to do.

Looks great to me I wouldn't change anything.
Pale pilsner malt really I would be amazed if one could tell the difference. I remember Crunk on here a lo do style brewer used to do 50/50 pale pils in his helles I think it was.

@Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews knows about Kazbek hops.

Pale pilsner malt really I would be amazed if one could tell the difference. I remember Crunk on here a lo do style brewer used to do 50/50 pale pils in his helles I think it was.

I appreciate that! I brought the pale malt % down from 70 but may just call it good. From my experience with the Pilsner malt I use always I think it will get me close to what I’m looking for.

I appreciate that! I brought the pale malt % down from 70 but may just call it good. From my experience with the Pilsner malt I use always I think it will get me close to what I’m looking for.
Most these pilsner light lager style beers depend alot on process I find yeah recipe matters but as long as it's got good foundations like i see in yours it'll be mash temp ferm profile and yeast choice and how you treat it at packaging that matter more.

Love Kazbek, to me it's like Saaz with a hint of fruit punch/citrus. Use it in my Czech Dark(Shady Bohemian), plays really nice off the mild roasty flavors of the grain bill.

Thinking about giving it a go in place of Sterling in my Blonde on Blonde Cream Ale next time I brew.

I wonder what style they recommend this hop be used in!? ;) ;) ;)
Yeah that's why I thought I'd give them a try. I had assumed they were a sub for Saaz but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. This will give me a different beer but I'm okay with it.

I wonder what style they recommend this hop be used in!? ;) ;) ;)
Yeah the brewer said he noted Herbal Berry abd citrus. Yeah the tasters thought it's hop pungency was moderate to pungent and would work well in an IPA.
But hey that's the preference rating for most the hop cronicals I view anyhow:D!

Call it a New Zealand Pilsner I see that's a BJCP style new world pils alot of the Kiwi hops are Nobel parentage but with a twist similar to Kazbek it looks to me;).

Either way I've not tried Kazbek myself but would definitely give it a go in a pils what's the worst that could happen a hop forward IPL lol!

Back