czech pilsner problem

Minbari

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
well, maybe a problem. I havent done many lagers and I have never used this yeast. wyeast 2278 czech pilsner.

so the beer has been fermenting for three days. my tilt said that it went from 1.042 to 1.010, which seemed really fast. I gave it a taste and it is really good, and fizzy! is it normal for it to carbonate in the fermentor? its not sealed. fermenting at 57°F

CO2 is a natural byproduct of yeast fermentation. Totally normal to have a lot of CO2 in there.
ok, I just never had it stay in suspension. but as I said, I dont do alot of lagers. 57°F is alot colder than ales are fermented at.

I took a reading with my refractometer, and the adjusted SG is 1.027. I have to assume the co2 in suspension is messing with the tilt

Building on what Dave said...when you say carbonation....are we talking bubbles on the side of your glass carbonation or some bubby feeling or carbonic burn in your mouth?

Carbon dioxide indeed is a yeast by product but your beer in this case is still in the fermentation chamber where the CO2 is escaping through your air lock.

"Carbonation" occurs when the CO2 has no where to escape to so it goes into the solution...beer in this case...that makes the bubbles and the carbonic acid which makes the burn sensation you feel on your tongue...which is also where you sense alcohol on your tongue. Are you sure that you are not tasting some fusel alcohol which occurs when your yeast is stressed?

It is carbonated, like the sample i pulled was bubbling and fizzy, visibly. Has the mouthfeel of it too. Which is why I asked. Can the co2 stay in solution, at normal atmosphere (no pressure) if it is cold, like 57°F? (Which is not really that cold)

Yup I believe so unscientific speaking that is.
We know Co2 is more readily absorbed into solution at a colder temperature therefore more likely to hang around.
That's why when bottle conditioning we have to take in to consideration your peak ferm temperature whilst brewing.
Bottling a beer with co2 already absorbed into solution on top of the priming sugar may cause some liveliness in the glass.

I don't know about you but I've visually seen carbonation come out of solution let's say like on the weekend when I left a cup full of beer in a pet bottle out I was drinking from.

It looked pretty lifeless when I got to it but once poured into the glass there was some carbonation and head but near nothing.

Your also seeing the end of fermentation too I believe which Is c02 being created by the yeast and making its way up out of solution.

The action of pouring the sample would of caused agitation to the solution which would of caused co2 to come out of solution.

A few brews back, I ended up (by accident) bottling before fermentation was complete. When I tasted a sample during bottling, it was also "fizzy". Other than potential bottle-bombs, everything turned out fine. So yes, I would say it is probably normal to have some CO2 in solution while active fermentation is still going on.

More Co2 is absorbed into the liquid at 57f than at ale fermenting temps. Pour it and drink and there will be more Co2 still in solution to release.

Not only is this normal. but it's actually a good thing. That extra co2 in solution keeps the yeast ester production in check. Colder fermentations trap the co2 in solution. That's why a bubbling fermenter may be done fermenting, but not done off gassing excess co2.

BTW, you may get hooked on brewing lagers, they are so good!

Brew on!

Not only is this normal. but it's actually a good thing. That extra co2 in solution keeps the yeast ester production in check. Colder fermentations trap the co2 in solution. That's why a bubbling fermenter may be done fermenting, but not done off gassing excess co2.

BTW, you may get hooked on brewing lagers, they are so good!

Brew on!
Only my second one. Both pilsners. Last one was, meh. Hoping this one is better. They taster i had yesterday was really good

It is carbonated, like the sample i pulled was bubbling and fizzy, visibly. Has the mouthfeel of it too. Which is why I asked. Can the co2 stay in solution, at normal atmosphere (no pressure) if it is cold, like 57°F? (Which is not really that cold)
Absolutely. CO2 dissolves into the wort. It begins right away which is part of the reason it can take a while for the
Air Lock to start bubbling. And the lower the Temp, the more readily it dissolves.

Back