please check my calculations

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just wanting to make sure I do this right.
Wort was 16.75 plato which I worked back to SG of 1.069
This was 6.5 litres
I diluted with 1.8 litres of water.
I calculated this to a final figure of 1.054
(6.5 x 1.069)/(6.5 + 1.8)
Is this correct?

Reason for asking is that I ended up with an FG of 1.000 (corrected refractometer reading in presence of alcohol of 5).
Giving me ABV of 7.1%

I also used brewking and that gave me a FG of 0.999, ABV of 7.2%, 102% apparent attenuation and attenuation of 85%.

Yeast was MJ29, French Saison, diastaticus.

If correct, I have a little problem with the beer I am mashing now.
I was going to put it onto the trub that's left. I calculated this as 1.2 litres. Meaning I can't add the same amount of wort and my resulting saison will have an even higher % of alcohol as I can't dilute it enough.
I'll make a plan for this somehow. Just need to know first if my calculations are correct

upload_2022-7-11_13-5-24.png

Is it normal for M29 to ferment this far?
It didn't happen with my apple juice and I thought that was pure sugar?

Yes, the typical FG with this yeast is 1.002. Yours did a couple points better than average. I am not surprised at all.

It may have a harder time fermenting apple juice because it's accustomed to fermenting malt beverages, and malt contains tons of nutrients whereas apple juice is relatively devoid of nutrients. Even if you add some, it's not to the same degree of nutrients it can get from malt.

Yes, the typical FG with this yeast is 1.002. Yours did a couple points better than average. I am not surprised at all.

It may have a harder time fermenting apple juice because it's accustomed to fermenting malt beverages, and malt contains tons of nutrients whereas apple juice is relatively devoid of nutrients. Even if you add some, it's not to the same degree of nutrients it can get from malt.
Thanks, that makes sense.
It's apple juice on old trub, so I suppose there is some food left for it, just not as much.

Makes me wonder what will happen with the batch of apple juice that went on the trub of apple juice that went on saison trub :p

In addition to this, yeast is diastaticus, so it can make it's own sugar in a way. If there are any convertible starches left over from the mash, the yeast can excrete the necessary enzyme to convert that to sugar. The numbers end up looking a little weird because the starting gravity doesn't represent the total amount of sugars available at pitch, since they still need converting. With apple juice, there is little if any starches to covert, so the numbers line up with a non-diastaticus yeast.

Thanks!
I've learned a lot again today :)

2nd batch is done and should end up pretty similar (except for hop, and of course, use of trub instead of "proper" yeast)

Back