Conversion Problems?

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have just loaded the Community Recipe for Q3 and did a straight conversion of volumes etc using the Copy and then Convert method but with errors...

I copied the recipe then changed the units from US to Metric all ok so far except..

Changing the Volume of the batch size to 19ltrs BY SCALING was OK except... Post Boil size stuck at 9.7 ltres? Now I know my boiler is efficient but to have a preboil size of 22L reduce to 9.7L in 60 minutes is going some - not to mention expensive in KW....

upload_2022-7-1_19-30-32.png

Another conversion problem was the Fermentation Temperature.. that didn't go too well either
The Original Herms recipe showed this
upload_2022-7-1_19-51-45.png

After conversion the missing Fermentation Temperature (of nothing!) converted to this

upload_2022-7-1_19-32-0.png

Instead of taking even the minimum Fermentation temperature it (the system) tried its best and got this
upload_2022-7-1_19-54-28.png

Not very useful. Easily corrected by editing manually but the conversion is not totally complete.

Last edited:
I think @Trialben converted his version to metric, maybe he’ll chime in. Since I don’t have temp control, I never bother with that part of the recipe builder.

Yeah Alan what you gotta do is use the scale feature to scale the recipe volume down or up. Not the volume in that volume window at the top of recipe.
Screenshot_20220702-065434_Samsung Internet.jpg

So when I'm copying the BFC recipe 1st SCALE efficiency to my Brew house "what I get on my system"
Screenshot_20220702-065451_Samsung Internet.jpg

Then I'll SCALE the batch volume.
You can't scale two at a time.
You can change to Metric whenever in the recipie header though.
This i find does a more uniform job than just changing the volume and Brew house in the recipie editor.

So I'd start again from herms original recipe follow the steps I gave you and you should be apples.

As for the ferm temp and the others ingredients I delete what's in the recipe then input from fresh what I do.

Sometimes I find it doubles up on you if you don't in particular Brew salts saved from water profile adjustments.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1290481/herms-bfc-wheatbeer

Yeah Alan what you gotta do is use the scale feature to scale the recipe volume down or up. Not the volume in that volume window at the top of recipe.
View attachment 21322
So when I'm copying the BFC recipe 1st SCALE efficiency to my Brew house "what I get on my system"
View attachment 21323
Then I'll SCALE the batch volume.
You can't scale two at a time.
You can change to Metric whenever in the recipie header though.
This i find does a more uniform job than just changing the volume and Brew house in the recipie editor.

So I'd start again from herms original recipe follow the steps I gave you and you should be apples.

As for the ferm temp and the others ingredients I delete what's in the recipe then input from fresh what I do.

Sometimes I find it doubles up on you if you don't in particular Brew salts saved from water profile adjustments.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1290481/herms-bfc-wheatbeer

I did use that scale app to get to the 19L I first change my copy of Herms brew to be Metric then used the scale button as you indicated...
and I got the results you saw...

I did not tweak it manually... the values I showed are the values I got.

@Pricelessbrewing

Additionally.... and I have just noticed this when I cam to import the data... THE CONVERSION FROM US TO METRIC did NOT convert the currency symbol.

Everything is in $ not £. I'm sure this was tackled in the past as previous conversions have worked so something has gone wrong recently - within the last quarter anyways - since I did the last conversion.

@Pricelessbrewing

Further to the above.
I have done some digging about and have been unable to change the Currency symbol - even on a converted recipe - as it seems fixed at the time of the Copy process. You can change the Units for volumes etc but the currency is not altered.

The ONLY way to do the copy successfully is to do this:

1. Open up the original US version of the recipe and select COPY.

2. Open up this copy and change the UNITS then SAVE it.

3. EXPORT this version as an HTML BeerXML type.

4. IMPORT this HTML version, Change the recipe NAME - and anything else you want - and SAVE it.

This version will have all the correct volumes, temperatures AND CURRENCY symbols - basically because you have started a new recipe (that brings in all your Locality settings) and is populated with the data from the import.

This is the bit the COPY process should do correctly.

Had a quick check on my BFC Q3 herms Wheat recipie yup conversion is in American
Screenshot_20220710-211049_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't care really I might of not put AUS Dollar on profile.

Anyhow if it helps with a glitch so be it.

Had a quick check on my BFC Q3 herms Wheat recipie yup conversion is in American View attachment 21432
I don't care really I might of not put AUS Dollar on profile.

Anyhow if it helps with a glitch so be it.

Ben are you using the PC version or the Phone version? There may be a difference... I only use the phone version for occasional reference and all my recipes are don on PC.

I'll take another look though as I may be hastilly going through the scale and conversion too quickly and missing out the vital option to change currency...

I am willing to be proved wrong - my mrs is always telling me I am...

Back