100 % pilsner malt

We did almost exactly this a couple of weeks ago and it came out nice. We used Saaz and did a dry hop addition, ended up with a really pleasant summer cream ale.

For me, Saaz is very understated so just hints of bitterness and very little flavour; fuggles would be much the same. Cascade I like very much, it's not an overwhelming hop like Citra but for me it gives really nice subtle floral/citrus flavours.Goldings is one of our 'go-to' hops for English pales, more earthy and old school than anything, not sure it's right for a beer without a bit of complexity in the grain bill.

All very subjective though isn't it?

I decided on Cascade.
Gonna be a smash beer this way :cool:
Nice choice! I didn't actually mean for them to sound paired - but now that I think of it... maybe I'll try that sometime!

Cascade will give you nice citrus notes without being too aggressive which is how I tend to describe most American hops.

For me, I find the below description of EKG to be similar to what I find. With the descriptors of sweet, honey, earthy being dominate.

"It has an amazing aroma profile with lavender, spice, honey and notes of thyme. Flavor-wise it is earthy and mildly bittering with a sweet, silky, honey-like character." https://www.hopslist.com/hops/aroma-hops/east-kent-golding/

That is a different brand of yeast that I have tried, but as a French Saison and not a Belgian, it should tolerate not having temperature control, at least in the summer, and as long as you are not pushing it to something stupid high. Make sure to read the instructions from the yeast company.
I would never have thought of Cascade in something like that, but I am VERY curious on how that would turn out.
Fuggles is very earthy and low to moderate alpha. I have fallen in love with a Fuggles/Maris Otter combination for English style beers.
Cascade is going to be more citrusy and maybe a little higher in alphas. I think of Saaz of kind of in the middle of the two and very low alpha, but I can stand corrected.
Again, give the Saison some time to age if needed.
I went to a brewery today that had three on tap, which for this area is unheard of. I had two of the three Saisons, and I still have a smile on my face. Good luck.

Crap, forgive my spelling too. Maris Otter

Correction:
The yeast I am using is Mangrove Jack M29, French saison.
I decided on Cascade to try something quite different from the hallertau tradition/spalt that I'll bottle today

Cascade saison has just been bottled.
Went through this thread again to check the other hop recommendations.
Going onto the saison-cascade thrub.
I decided on east kent goldings :D
Mash is finished, so need to get on with things

Nice. I'm still curious to hear what it tastes like in about a month.

The hallertau/spalt one is pretty good.
Started like it was a blond and changed to something much less sweet.
Both ages were very tasty.
Cascade report will take a while and EKG even longer

They did a Saison at one of the breweries I often frequent, and it changed almost every week that I had it. It turned out to be a pretty damn good beer.
I might try another Saison somewhere down the road now that I know what to expect and what to change in mine. I'm glad at least the last batch turned out well for you.

Thanks...
Not sure about terminology...
Drinking one batch saison (hallertau/spalt), carbonating cascade saison. And EKG saison in fermenter.
First two are 100% pilsner malt. Last one is 40% lager malt/60 % pilsner malt.

First saison I ever made had a more complicated grain bill, but I've since found out I don't like caramalt too much.

Back