Q3 BFC Quarterly Recipie 2022.

Copied the recipe. I’ll be brewing the same size so I left it alone. IF I can’t get those hops what is a good substitute? I think I have everything else

Copied the recipe. I’ll be brewing the same size so I left it alone. IF I can’t get those hops what is a good substitute? I think I have everything else
Something tropical and citrusy. Galaxy, Mosaic, or Amarillo maybe?

No melanoidin :(
No caramel 20 :(
But I got cara 40/crystal malt/aroma malt.
Use cara 40 at half amount:oops:?

Yeast is gonna be an issue.
If it would be hot here, I might chance Kveik Voss. But it isn't.
Only non Belgians I got are S33 and Bry-97.

It's gonna be a "No Longer Herm's American Wheat"

Bry-97 is great and a chico strain.
The c-40 will be fine, it's a small amount

I know @Megary brews American Wheats quite often with BRY-97
Yes, in my opinion, BRY-97 would be a great substitute for WLP001 and most certainly will be the yeast I use when I brew this. Nothing against 001, which I like, but getting liquid yeast shipped in the summer is always a bit dicey.

Plus, after plugging into my calculator, mine will come out significantly lighter in color than the picture that Herm and posted

Last edited:
Alright, I’ll throw my hat in with this simple recipe for an American Wheat Beer. Prior to this, I have brewed a couple of Belgian style witbiers, neither of which were noteworthy. For this recipe, I have brewed it once and found the resulting beer very satisfying. My idea was to create a beer similar to Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat, long a favorite of mine. Online, I sought advice on how to obtain the tangerine aroma and flavor. What I found was that making a tangerine vodka tincture was the best option, and adding that tincture to the fermenter the day prior to bottling. For my batch, I zested 3 tangerines (bigger than a golfball, but smaller than a baseball), then added that zest to a couple ounces of good vodka (Tito’s) to infuse for a couple days. Some alterations not shown in the recipe are: An addition of zested tangerine skin late in the boil; the above mentioned addition of tangerine infused vodka tincture.
Since I have an abundance of Azacca hops, that is what I used for bittering and aroma/flavor. Any good American hops would probably work well in this recipe. My choice of White Labs California Ale Yeast seemed like a good choice for me, considering my lack of fermentation temperature control, and the yeast’s clean fermentation character.
As usual, I bottled the beer after 3 weeks in primary, adding the tangerine infused vodka tincture the day prior to bottling. Any flavor that you want to add would be fine, I’m sure.
So, here it is:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1269010/herms-azacca-wheat

If there are questions, please ask, and I’ll try to answer when I can. If this is anything like previous brews, it will take on a life of its own. Cheers!
Thanks for this Herm, looks like a perfect summer beer! I think the use of Honey malt is very intriguing. Having never used it before, I can't wait to see what it brings.

Plus, after plugging into my calculator, mine will come out significantly lighter in color than the picture that Herm and posted
That's a good point. The recipe shows an SRM of 4.7, which would be lighter in color than the picture. I see the picture as 10-12ish.

@Herm_brews
Is that picture misleading? I don't suppose the tincture would add much color, but maybe???

That's a good point. The recipe shows an SRM of 4.7, which would be lighter in color than the picture. I see the picture as 10-12ish.

@Herm_brews
Is that picture misleading? I don't suppose the tincture would add much color, but maybe???
My beers rarely conform with the projected color. In reality, I would suggest the beer is darker than 4.7, but lighter than 10-12ish. More like 7-8ish. Maybe it’s the background?

Man I sware we were brewing herms Amber Ale ah well another beer another time :)!

But man I've not brewed a wheat beer in too long!
Awesome !

American wheat beer cool I'll try and stick as close go your recipe as possible herm tangerine might be a stretch but I've got a bucket load of mandarines on the tree out back which funnily enough I was thinking about how the zest on them might go in a beer:p!

Thanks @The Brew Mentor for scaling the recipe cheers.
I'll flip this to metric and put it in the brew order tomorrow.

@Sunfire96 I'll leave you do the honours of adding it to the master list. Thankyou kindly :).

Cheers again Herm thanks for throwing your hat into the ring.

Into the highly esteemed Anals of BFC Recipe history your beer goes!

Oh so doing a quick " Honey Malt substitute " on google it seems the consensus is Melanoidin malt being the closest swap. There was a brulosophy exbeeriment on these malts compared in an exbeeriment which yielded an significant result.
So sounds like it's similar.
In others words same same but different...
Hmmm will have to ponder that one.
I didn’t want to put up another amber ale so soon after @The Brew Mentor gave us his amber, so I went with an American wheat, which is surprisingly not very common. I was on the lookout for American wheat beers when I made the recipe, but there really weren’t many to find.
To me, it seems like a great summer beer, as it’s light and refreshing. The use of mandarin zest, or any other orange citrus would be fine, I think.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1290472/herms-wheat-5-gal-
I scaled it to 5.25 gallons to the Fermentor and rounded off. Also changed to a batch sparge.
Take a look @Herm_brews and see if this is ok before I adjust the water.
Thanks and looking forward to this!
I bet it'll be as good as your bread!
Cheers
I will have a look at your recipe (and others) as time allows.
For water adjustment, I added 2 grams each of calcium chloride and gypsum to reverse osmosis water.

I put in my water profile and adjusted the hops to the AA I currently have.
This will drop the IBU's a little, but I really like my American Wheat beers a little less bitter anyways.
I have dried Tangerine peel in hand, so I'll use that as a tincture and noted it in the comment section of the recipe.
I'll also pull yeast from a nose cone, so it may end up being another chico strain.
Coming together...

All I could find is some dried tangerine peel for making tea......looks like the right thing....I ordered some and will know better when it arrives. As for yeast I am going to use a dry yeast.....BRY97 as liquid yeast is more difficult to get. Once I get my tangerine peel I'll then plan a brew date.....hopefully the week after next.

After a bit of a lay off, I think I'm ready to brew again. I went several months without drinking at all and then started back with just 1 beer a week. I have been sending growlers home with my daughter on occasion, so at long last a keg kicked off and needs to be replaced. I'll try Herm's suggestion and probably use Citra rather than buy more hops when I have too many already. I want to go back to Q2 and try the Ukrainian beer as well. I do actually have two 3 gallon kegs empty.

Slava Ukraini !

I didn’t want to put up another amber ale so soon after @The Brew Mentor gave us his amber, so I went with an American wheat, which is surprisingly not very common. I was on the lookout for American wheat beers when I made the recipe, but there really weren’t many to find.
To me, it seems like a great summer beer, as it’s light and refreshing. The use of mandarin zest, or any other orange citrus would be fine, I think.
Funny! I just built a recipe for an American Wheat with the idea that it would make a nice summer beer... I ordered some Summit hops for it but am not sure of their quality - they did not look like they traveled well - I should post a pic and see what you all think.

I'll add the honey malt to my recipe and I should be pretty spot on - minus the yeast? I'll be using a dry yeast like Koln or nottingham or 34/70... Of those I assume the Koln yeast would be closest?

Funny! I just built a recipe for an American Wheat with the idea that it would make a nice summer beer... I ordered some Summit hops for it but am not sure of their quality - they did not look like they traveled well - I should post a pic and see what you all think.

I'll add the honey malt to my recipe and I should be pretty spot on - minus the yeast? I'll be using a dry yeast like Koln or nottingham or 34/70... Of those I assume the Koln yeast would be closest?
I just used Koln in my cream ale and was quite satisfied with it. I have never tried Nottingham but I am interested in giving it a try. For this beer I was planning to use BRY 97. If you decide to use Nottingham I would be interested in the results.

Nottingham is pretty clean, but if the choice were that, or the kolsch yeast, the latter would be my choice.
I'd go with something softer than summit (save that for an IPA) for the hops.

Last edited:
Just ordered all ingredients - with enough to do two lots just in case.
I don't normally drink wheat bear but I will certainly give this one a go... The Piwo was good and that is wheat....
I need to brew again - not done any this month so two brews on the way.

Back