How much StarSan is too much?

Donoroto

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
I mix StarSan at 1 ounce for 5 gallons. In my kegs, the dip tubes are cut 1/2" short. I store my kegs clean and pressurized, with a gallon of StarSan solution in them. I empty the StarSan using a picnic tap, then pressure transfer from the fermenter into the keg.

I'd like to hear your opinion on the 4-6 ounces of StarSan left behind in the keg (because the tubes are shortened) and its effects on the beer. Thanks!

I do 2oz to 5 gallon. But being a mild acid, i don't store it in the kegs. I just let them dry after I clean em, then rinse with starsan before refill.

I would upend them to get the last bit out before a refill though.

I don't think it will change the beer much, maybe lower the pH of the beer a bit, which isn't a bad thing. I kind of have the same situation with one of my kegs, I just shake it at the end of emptying it to get as much of the Starsan out as possible.

Are you sure it's only 4-6oz?

While I agree that it shouldn't have an impact on the finished beer, I also would be looking for a way to get rid of it. Once, ok. But every time you keg a beer, pass.

Just my opinion.

Ok, thank you! Great comments!

I store the kegs on CO2 so they are pre-purged, meaning I am loath to open it. But pulling the inverted PRV is brilliant @jschein and that is what I will do.

@Megary It might be only 1-2 oz., but I think I should experiment and measure so I know for sure. I'll do that when I keg Josh's Bitter and just re-purge the keg.

4 to 6 oz to 5 gallons? Not quite a teardrop in the ocean but I've read and heard that the stuff acts like a nutrient to the yeast. There's a recent Brulosophy episode on this where they discuss silly big amounts of Star San getting into a batch and testers could not pick the offending beer! Try episode 234...

I one racked a Porter onto maybe 2 litres of Posphoric acid sanitizer.
Somehow I thought the keg was purged I found out when beer was spilling out the lid and I had a couple of liters left in the fermenter.
Well that beer got dumped.
I carbed it and tasted it and it was just super thin and I could bare drinking it knowing it had all that sanitizer in it...

Flipping the keg and pulling the prv is great idea and similar to what I do with my Sankey kegs.
In the end, I feel better about not having anything left in the keg except CO2.

I one racked a Porter onto maybe 2 litres of Posphoric acid sanitizer.
Somehow I thought the keg was purged I found out when beer was spilling out the lid and I had a couple of liters left in the fermenter.
Well that beer got dumped.
I carbed it and tasted it and it was just super thin and I could bare drinking it knowing it had all that sanitizer in it...
My first dumper, documented somewhere on this forum, was the same thing: forgot to drain the sanitizer. Yeah, a couple ounces might be fine but a couple gallons, nope.

I rekon the PRV is a great option.
I always give my purged kegs a shake to hear if there's any solution left Inside. None always but if ever I'll be inverting and pulling the PRV great info.

Got maybe 3 oz out by pulling the prv after emptying the keg if sanitizer using the tap. Shook the keg and didn't hear splashing, so I'm calling it good.

Kegged the Josh Bitter for tonight's meeting.

Back