imaginary trip through the time zones (beer window view)

I'm just stepping a couple time zones back:
Has anyone else noticed that it's a bit lonely in my time zone? We had a whole bunch of South Africans joining recently, but it seens they have gone since they can buy beer and other alcohol again:oops::oops:

Anyway, we are going to move through a couple time zones simultenously, as there is a lot of water in GMT -1, and GMT -2. So we'll include GMT -3 as well.
Hopefully we got someone in Greenland, Argentinia or Brazil ;)
I was trying to tag BrewPatagonia but I can't find him! :oops:

Maybe @Viejos Cañones has some fun insights to share :)

I'm just stepping a couple time zones back:
Has anyone else noticed that it's a bit lonely in my time zone? We had a whole bunch of South Africans joining recently, but it seens they have gone since they can buy beer and other alcohol again:oops::oops:

I noticed that too. I was hoping what began as a means to an end would morph into a hobby for them. Maybe it has and they are just lurking in the background.

There's lots of homebrew kit for sale here at the moment, I think plenty of people are abandoning brewing as they return to work and normality. Our home brew supplies business is very quiet at the moment. Plenty of abandoned home bars as reality bites too :)

There's lots of homebrew kit for sale here at the moment, I think plenty of people are abandoning brewing as they return to work and normality. Our home brew supplies business is very quiet at the moment. Plenty of abandoned home bars as reality bites too :)
I liked this then thought hey this is nothing to like.
Pandemic or no Pandemic I'm brewing me some beer!
Ah I just hope someone who really wants to sink their teeth into the hobby pic up the spoils :)

I had the same Ben.
Just couldn't press "like"

We're going to move a time zone...
GMT -4
A large part of Latin America and a little piece of Canada.
And if you are in the minus 3.5 zone, just consider it -3 or -4, whatever you feel like ;)
And we are also moving back and forth between GMT +2 and GMT -4.

It's quiet in GMT minus four.
Hopefully a bit busier im GMT -5 :)

That is surprising since US Eastern Time Zone is probably the most densely populated with Brewer's Friends
You had me worried I got the time zones mixed up, but I double checked and GMT -5 is EST :) I've got lots to say about the local beer scene when we get there

In the state of Virginia there are 314 craft breweries, according to brewersassociation.org. If I pull up google maps and search for breweries in my city, there are 20 in the metro area with a population of 1.3 million people. We certainly don't have the most or densest brewery stats, but we have quite a few options!

Honestly, it feels like too much. Not all of them make great beer. Some of them make a few decent beers. Very rarely does the full menu include all great beers. But it's nice to have variety and options. If you want to hang out at a brewery, you can always find one regardless what side of town you're on. There's an up and coming neighborhood where you can find 8 breweries, 2 cideries, a meadery, a distillery, and a winery. It's a very hip thing to go brewery hopping in that part of town.

upload_2022-6-22_8-37-37.png

Not sure I'm doing this right, but speaking for just a tiny slice of GMT-5...

Pennsylvania may not be the first state you think of when you consider craft beer, but PA actually has quite a history with it, and more recently, an embarrassment of riches with some great breweries. I try, but I simply can't get to them all! :)

Yuengling, Troegs (one of my favorites), Yards, Victory, Stoudt's, to name the most obvious.
Weyerbacher, Imprint, Voodoo, Tired Hands, New Trail, Brew Gentlemen, Neshaminy Creek, Rusty Rail, Chatty Monks, Susquehanna, Wallenpaupack (another fav!), to name just a few more. And I'm missing a ton of other great ones.

On a more local level, in Northeast PA (think Scranton/Wilkes Barre, parts of the Poconos) I would say the scene is growing, though definitely way behind the big three: Philly, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg. I'm a short drive from some very tiny microbreweries, and not much farther away from some of the better-known craft breweries. A top restaurant in Scranton just opened up a nano-brewery, a few micro-breweries have popped up in the last few years and seem to be doing well, and there are some really nice (if a bit hipster) craft bars nearby (and that's not to mention the local wineries, meaderies and cideries).

The Scranton Homebrewer's Guild has been going strong (without me) for many years but I'm unaware of any other local brew-clubs. A huge negative in my immediate area is a complete lack of a homebrew store. I'm 45 minutes from a decent one so I mostly shop on-line.

And 90% of the malt I use comes from a craft maltster (Deer Creek) in southeast PA.

All in all, I'm in a good spot for craft beer (and craft booze in general). There is room for improvement in my very immediate area, but it’s moving forward. No complaints.

You had me worried I got the time zones mixed up, but I double checked and GMT -5 is EST :) I've got lots to say about the local beer scene when we get there

While the US Eastern Time Zone is listed as GMT - 5, I was going by current time which, since we are now in Daylight Savings Time, is now GMT - 4. Doesn't matter though as long as we get everyone's input.

While the US Eastern Time Zone is listed as GMT - 5, I was going by current time which, since we are now in Daylight Savings Time, is now GMT - 4. Doesn't matter though as long as we get everyone's input.
Indeed it doesn't matter :D
I honestly don't know the American time zones. If you check the map (link in my previous post,) you'll find the time zone and the zone does not change with summertime.
I am in gmt +2. We don't have summer and wintertime (daylight saving) so currently our time is the same as in GMT
+1.
Just feel free to post
I'm just interested in all stories and time zones seemed like a good idea to spread them out a bit

Indeed it doesn't matter :D
I honestly don't know the American time zones. If you check the map (link in my previous post,) you'll find the time zone and the zone does not change with summertime.
I am in gmt +2. We don't have summer and wintertime (daylight saving) so currently our time is the same as in GMT
+1.
Just feel free to post
I'm just interested in all stories and time zones seemed like a good idea to spread them out a bit

Yeah, I think it's best to go off the map from your earlier post. The seasonal time shifts are so variable. There are parts of the US that never adopted the time shift. And it appears that the US will be in Daylight Savings Time permanently.

I've never been in Canada or the USA, but all those states are so big!
I'm always baffled by the distances.
Is there a lot of difference between the states? Especially neighbouring states (I can imagine Florida and Alaska being absolutely not the same :p).
I mean: the USA is more than twice as big as the whole of the EU, but with less people (thank you google)
Canada is also huge, with even less people!

Back