What are you doing with homebrew today?

Decided to brew between work events today. I mashed in this morning at 156F and piled 3 blankets around the kettle. It'll probably mash for 3.5 hours. If it's in the 130s when I get home I'll be happy. Then 30 boil, 20 minute hopstand, and transfer into the fermenting keg to no chill. Pitching lutra either tonight or tomorrow, whenever it hits 90F.

Right now I'm passing out craft beer at a golf tournament. It's a beautiful day!
20220611_093630.jpg

Decided to brew between work events today. I mashed in this morning at 156F and piled 3 blankets around the kettle. It'll probably mash for 3.5 hours. If it's in the 130s when I get home I'll be happy. Then 30 boil, 20 minute hopstand, and transfer into the fermenting keg to no chill. Pitching lutra either tonight or tomorrow, whenever it hits 90F.

Right now I'm passing out craft beer at a golf tournament. It's a beautiful day!
View attachment 21055
...and all set for frisbee golf!:D

I brewed my 100% pilsner malt - saison.
Bit of a session with hinderness.
Not because of brewing, but because of waiting for people etc.
Anyway, decided to mash after googling extended mash times. Did a 3.5 hour mash.
Brought wort to the boil (after rinsing/sparging etc) and boiled 90 minutes. Took a sample
Cooled the wort (and sample). Took reading, put wort in fermenter, added cold water, swirled to mix and added yeast.
By now, I was p#£@ssed of waiting for people, had some saisons and will check my calculations tomorrow.
Hopefully it will be beer :rolleyes:

yes no need to buy more, I have too many parts but that's a RipTide pump, way too powerful for this setup
Ah that's why I put the question mark in there looks like it's got its own inbuilt control valve.

Anyhow I hope you like brewing on your new Spaceship er I mean brew rig Ozarks :D.
It's gotta be a quicker clean up right?
And overall brew day time is less?o_O

Bottled my 2022 Barleywine. Went from 1.095 —-> 1.016. 10.37%

I’ve been told that I’m not making a true American Barleywine and I can accept that. Because I’m not really a “chewy, malty, sweet” BW fan I use a bit of sugar and look to dry the beer out more than a typical mid 1.020’s finish. I guess this plays more like an Imperial APA, if there was such a thing.

Sample had a nice hoppy aroma and tasted appropriately for an APA…medium body, a bit of caramel, floral and berry from the hops (Cascade and Chinook). Definitely a bit “hot” at this point and some of that fruitiness might be residual esters from a stressful fermentation. It will get a good 6 months before I taste it again, hopefully it will have mellowed some by then.

04BEC80B-6509-4087-92F2-3B8517637916.jpeg

D5F2D03B-CC78-4FAB-A79C-BB0B127D5E66.jpeg

Bottled one batch of Rapier Wit which I'd done a repitch of S-33 that was 3rd generation. It got violent again, despite cutting the pitch in half last time. So the one I brewed today got a sachet of new dry S-33. Gonna see how much difference it makes in the ferment rate. Repitch with S-33 always seems to be a sure fire way to have a puking fermenter. That stuff must be stoopid aggressive.

When the bottling was done, brewed another follow up batch (note about new sachet of S-33). This stuff's so easy to do. I make the 'wort' with a gallon of water, boil the bittering hops and dissolve the candi sugar, drop in the coriander and lemon peel with 15 to go. While boiling, I dissolve the DME (wheat) in clean water in one of my old fermenting buckets. After the flavoring stuff is all done boiling, pour that into the conical, then pour the cold malt solution on top. Stir that up good, then add ice until I get the temp down to 68F. Top up to 22 quarts, cap it and move it to the fermenting room. Takes longer to set up for it than it does to brew it.

I think the missus is gonna get me another conical for my birthday (a couple weeks from now) so I should be able to stock up my goto beer by having two fermenters going. One batch barely lasts through 3 weeks of fermenting and another week of conditioning. My guess is that kegging would solve at least a week of this time.

Guess I better get more caps and some DME ordered so I can try one more way of pitching this stuff. Considering making a slurry from clean DME for one batch and see if I can tell a difference from 2nd gen or later yeast and a 1st gen slurry made from dried packet yeast. Plan on spending the summer testing my taste buds to see if I can tell any differences in process or yeast handling, as well as maybe trying a different yeast just to see what happens. I'll stick with the same recipe with only tiny changes to see if I can detect the differences.

image.jpg
I just bottled my latest batch of amber ale. Brewed a little different from previous batches, this time I used pale ale malt, Munich dark and Caramunich III. The result was lighter than expected. Inspired by @The Brew Mentor I used the same hops that I did in my version of his MentoRed. Looking forward to first sample next week. This is likely my final batch here in sunny Southern California.

Back