Sous Vide wand as decoction mash?

FPMBomb

Premium Member
Reaction score
Background, I'm a 3 gallon biab stovetop and sous vide brewer.
I was just reading a festbier recipe that calls for a single decoction mash. If I followed the initial strike temperature of 130f and then set the sous vide to the target 154f would I get a similar result to pulling a thick 4qts to boil to raise that mash temp? FYI, my wand is outside the bag so no grain makes it into the recirculation prop.
Thanks,
Frank

I think what you're describing is a multi-step infusion mash. The decotion mash requires boiling the grains to add more flavors to the final beer

I think what you're describing is a multi-step infusion mash. The decotion mash requires boiling the grains to add more flavors to the final beer
I guess my question is this. Would the super heated sous vide electrode heating the wort from 130 to 154 be roughly equivalent to the maillard reaction that takes place in the decotion boil? Any wort that comes in contact with the probe is essentially being boiled at the point of contact before being whisked away by the impeller.

I guess my question is this. Would the super heated sous vide electrode heating the wort from 130 to 154 be roughly equivalent to the maillard reaction that takes place in the decotion boil? Any wort that comes in contact with the probe is essentially being boiled at the point of contact before being whisked away by the impeller.
that would be a good question. if that is the case, then everyone using a RIMs system would be accomplishing this as well. I would be willing to bet it doesnt though.

I don't think so...just an educated guess though

No. It isn't hot enough.

Think about it: ever seen bubbles (boiling) from the wand?

Also, a decoction mash wants the grains boiled, not necessarily just the water.

Yeah so when I've decocted I usually boil the decoction for a good 15-20mins whilst the main mash is at the mash step rest.

So supposedly that boiling or the grains is creating the mailard reactions also breaking down starches creating a more fermentable wort.

I don't know man you do it if you must but I've been there decocted that and the extra energy spent wasn't worth the result in the pilsner style beers I made.

I think by raising the mash temp to the next step via the sous vide is just a step mash nothing more.

Cheers good luck man I hope it turns out great.

Think about it this way - cooks still pull the food cooked via sous vide out of the package and sear the outside (maillard reaction) before serving.

You are simply doing a step mash that has little to no risk of scorching any wort - which is nice!

Your sous vide method for maintaining temps sounds like a great idea! I never thought of that - how long have you been doing it and what do you think of the process/results?

All of these cookers that I've seen clearly state that the only liquid that they should heat is water. Seconding what has been said already, decoction is not worth the squeeze and today's malt does not require it to get the results that the old...really old brewers were after with decoction. Additionally by not doing it...you may be saving yourself the expense and any "I'm Sorry Honey" costs you could incur by ruining the cooker.

I use a sous vide wand to heat my Sparge Water while the Mash is holding a step temp. Before the wand, I was trying to heat the Sparge Water to 170 while not exceeding the step temp/hold time. I use a 3 gal Igloo as a HLT & pump the Sparge to the top of the Mash Tun.
Works great, only water(with water treatment) is heated, SV holds 170 F for as long as it takes until ready to rinse. Then I cook dinner with the SV. Been doing this for about a year. Caution! Be sure you unplug the SV BEFORE the Sparge Water level drops below the element or you will be apologizing to your Queen.

Caution! Be sure you unplug the SV BEFORE the Sparge Water level drops below the element or you will be apologizing to your Queen.
:D
...wasn't she formerly known as SWMBO?
(been lurking in so many forums for so long, I might be confusing my acronyms...)

Back