Grain of Paradise

Box of Rocks

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Considering adding 0.5 gram of Grain of Paradise to a 4.5 gallon Belgian Dubbel recipe. Anyone tried this adjunct? Should I add to the mash or the boil? Thanks

Never used them, but are they really potent? 1\2 gram seems like barely a pinch.

The package says around 1 gram per 5 gallons, and I have no idea what flavor it will add tbh

And I just found it mentioned in.one of my brew books:
Use ground seed, max 1.5 gr per 10 litre,
5 minutes before end of boil
Hope that helps

Thanks, I’ll try a tea first at the 1gram / gall ratio and see if there is enough flavor to notice.

Keep us posted.
It sounds like an interesting spice

Tried the equivalent of 1 gram per 5 gallons - hot tea chilled. No real noticeable flavor other than a bit of a different ending / aftertaste. Hard to describe but it was there, not chalky or peppery. Might add depth. Not wanting to ruin 4.5 gallons, I went with 1 gram for this brew . More might be better, or not!

Tried the equivalent of 1 gram per 5 gallons - hot tea chilled. No real noticeable flavor other than a bit of a different ending / aftertaste. Hard to describe but it was there, not chalky or peppery. Might add depth. Not wanting to ruin 4.5 gallons, I went with 1 gram for this brew . More might be better, or not!
Better to err on the side of caution and increase next time vs adding to much and having to dump the batch

Back