WLP644 Saccharomyces "bruxellensis" Trois

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some information on brewing with this? I have read some articles but I know I'll get the real scoop here at BF. I was thinking about using it in a SMaSH, Pale ale or IPA.

it used to be classified as Brettanomyces, and then apparently some alerted White Labs that it's not actually Brett, it's 100% sacch cer. yeast. So they changed the name to Sacch Brux Trois. We don't exactly know what its origins are, but some people claim that this is the yeast used in, I think, Unicorn Dust, don't quote me. Some others believe it's a Belgian yeast originally. Hard to say. Profile is fruity, ferments fairly dry. Works well for hoppy beers.

That's a strange story. Some people were convinced it created a beer with more flavour than a Sacchyromyces could create. Others thought it was just a blend of either normal, or slightly more expressive Sacchromyces. I haven't used the sacch. blend, but I've used the newer brett blend (troi vrai). Nice enough blend, but there's so many others to try I haven't tried it again. For me it was a muted Brussels brett. flavour. A bit of sour, a bit of funk.

Back