Letting the Mash Rest

Steve Russell

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have done about 10 brews so far and all have been decent drinking beers. I was reading an article about letting the mash rest for 20-30 minutes prior to recirculation. I was thinking about doing that during my next brew. I use a Grainfather G30 so was thinking to let the mash rest for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally before I turn on the pump for recirc. Just inquiring if anyone does this and if so did it help with efficiency, taste, color or anything really. Thank you , Steve

We don't recirculate here, we batch sparge almost as you're suggesting. Maybe half the brewing liquor for 60 minutes and pretty much left alone, then that lot goes into the kettle and the rest goes into the mash with lots of stirring for around 20 minutes until the kettle temp reaches 80. Efficiency is pretty steady around 80% working like this and I don't see any readon to work any other way.

I guess it's about what works for yourself and your kit in the end.

I have done about 10 brews so far and all have been decent drinking beers. I was reading an article about letting the mash rest for 20-30 minutes prior to recirculation. I was thinking about doing that during my next brew. I use a Grainfather G30 so was thinking to let the mash rest for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally before I turn on the pump for recirc. Just inquiring if anyone does this and if so did it help with efficiency, taste, color or anything really. Thank you , Steve

the main reason is to get past the sicky part of the mash causing a stuck circulation, if you have no problems circulating don't bother

i do not do it. typically im sitting about 5 minutes to add in my salts and acid. stir then start recirculation.

I bet it is to wait for the amylase conversion. When you mash in it can be very hard to stir and mix as it is very starchy. Once the starch starts to break down to sugar it's way more liquidy. Maybe the idea is to let it rest so it will be easier to work with?

Either ither I recirculate straight from "doe in" until "mash out".
I have quite a thin mash.
You do whatever you need to get them grains converted :).
Many ways to mash grains .

I've found better results recirculating the entire time. The better results have typically been in efficiency and clarity - no real difference in taste. I'd say, the only way to know for sure is to give the method a try and see what you think. I found I just preferred recirculating the whole time as the temp in the mash was more consistent.

The main thing is to do what works best for you and your system.
Try different things until you're happy with the results.
For me, I found my mashing consistent by just leaving it alone. No recirculating at all. Also, very repeatable. YMMV.
Cheers,
Brian

I've found better results recirculating the entire time. The better results have typically been in efficiency and clarity - no real difference in taste. I'd say, the only way to know for sure is to give the method a try and see what you think. I found I just preferred recirculating the whole time as the temp in the mash was more consistent.
Thank you for the response and I appreciate the feedback, I will try it on my next brew!

The main thing is to do what works best for you and your system.
Try different things until you're happy with the results.
For me, I found my mashing consistent by just leaving it alone. No recirculating at all. Also, very repeatable. YMMV.
Cheers,
Brian
I appreciate the response and I will test it out next brew. It is enjoyable to experiment some and see what happens. :)

We don't recirculate here, we batch sparge almost as you're suggesting. Maybe half the brewing liquor for 60 minutes and pretty much left alone, then that lot goes into the kettle and the rest goes into the mash with lots of stirring for around 20 minutes until the kettle temp reaches 80. Efficiency is pretty steady around 80% working like this and I don't see any readon to work any other way.

I guess it's about what works for yourself and your kit in the end.
Thanks, there are many ways I guess, I will just experiment some!

the main reason is to get past the sicky part of the mash causing a stuck circulation, if you have no problems circulating don't bother
Thank you for the response, I actually had a stuck mash last brew too many flaked oats and wheat and no hulls I believe. I still may try the resting thing just to see if the results change.

There’s no advantage to stop circulating. I circulate my mash from strike until I lauter. It can help with increasing extraction and it makes for a more homogeneous mash temperature.
Ok thank you and that makes sense!

as others said, I start recirculating as soon as I get it doughed in. I have never had an issue with recirc plugging up.

one thing I may do different than some others, I put my BIAB into a stainless basket to allow the wort to drain more effeciently.

similar to this, but sized so it fits in my boil kettle leaving 1" room around the edges.
91SV4swasRL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Rice hulls or Oat hulls what I use can be your friend too.

It's true I do find the recirculation can back up early in the mash before conversion but after 15 or so minutes if it's flowing well you will usually not have a problem.

The G30 malt pipe has holes just at the bottom right @Steve Russell ?
This could cause dramas if your milling is too fine and of course wheat/rye malt is used in large quantities.

Rice hulls or Oat hulls what I use can be your friend too.

It's true I do find the recirculation can back up early in the mash before conversion but after 15 or so minutes if it's flowing well you will usually not have a problem.

The G30 malt pipe has holes just at the bottom right @Steve Russell ?
This could cause dramas if your milling is too fine and of course wheat/rye malt is used in large quantities.
Yes it does have holes in the bottom, I bought the new bottom for my G30 doesn't have a gasket. I have been getting my grain from the same place for a year now , this was the first time I had this issue so maybe it was milled to fine? I didn't use rice hulls on this batch either!. Thanks for the response

Back